1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yet another Sadowsky thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Apr 11, 2006.

1. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    OK... I hold you all responsible.
    Nobody bought this thing when I begged last week. Now I have to suck it up on my credit card for a couple months.

I haven't stopped thinking about it since I played it a couple weeks ago. So, today, I gave in and decided to buy. I should have it by the weekend - hopefully not too much before the weekend, as it'll keep me from getting ready for an R&B gig I have Friday. I have a gig playing with a singer and acoustic guitar on Sunday afternoon. Hopefully I can play it reasonably in tune by then, cause I'm planning to use it for at least a few songs as a test.

I am pretty stoked!!!
    :hyper: :hyper:
    I'll have family pictures with it's younger PJ cousin soon enough, but for now, here it is.

:bassist:

[​IMG]

2. Wow. That looks pretty unique as far as Sadowskys go. 21 fret(less) 4-string with Soaps. Very cool :cool:

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I really had no desire for a new bass. I played it just cause I was in the shop and wanted to check out different stuff. I didn't want a fretless either.

I played this for 5 minutes, and just fell in love with the sound and feel. Kicked my ass. My gf got so sick of hearing about it, that I think she was relieved when I told her the news today.

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Don't blame any of us man. LOL

Sadowsky's are a beautiful addiction.

Enjoy it.

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    congrats man, great looking bass.

the only thing wrong with this thread is that the picture is a life sized picture.

great bass man, but post a smaller picture so it fits on our monitors.;)

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Beauty! Congrats! Enjoy!

7. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Very cool bass!

I had a similar exerience. A year ago, I bought one of the 25th anniversary standard fives -- the most expensive non-house, non-car purchase I'd even made.

I've never regretted it. It's become my favorite bass, and most of my others have since gone away.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Congrats ! :bassist:

9. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    ok. update...

It came on Friday. Had about 10 minutes to play around but had to get ready for a gig that it wasn't going to.

Saturday, I had a rehearsal for an acoustic singer songwriter kinda gig, so I played only the fretless. Painful for the first half hour or so, but I slowly got used to it. It's such a different tone then I'm used to, that besides the intonation issues of being a fretless noob, I was tweaking trying to get the sound I wanted. Plus, I was constantly looking down at the fretboard.

With my Sadowsky P/J I run the EQ flat and love it -- all tweaks are generally just VTC or blend. After being frustrated with the tone for a little while, I realized that this bass doesn't have as much natural bottom as my P/J, for a variety of reasons. So, I find myself generally using a little bass boost from the onboard pre. Once I figured that out, I was back to just making adjustments with the VTC and blend.

So, I love this thing.
    I brought it to that gig on Sunday (yesterday), and used it for at least a third of the songs in a 2+ hour set, including a few that were just bass and the vocalist, with a lot of chording and fills high up. I had a few moments when I was grimacing at my intonation up high on some solo bits, but overall, I was very pleasantly suprised that I managed to pull it off. My singer told me she didn't even realize I had switched to the fretless during a short break (I had played 4 or 5 songs with it at that point) -- I took that as a huge vote of confidence.

Verdict:
    No way in hell is this thing going back to the shop after the week trial period is up. It feels, sounds, and looks phenomenal. I need to make it part of my normal practice routine to make proper intonation less of a struggle.

I absolutely love the way this thing sounds when I get to play up high in chordal situations. I am going to start working on a trio situation with this singer and a horn of some sort before too long (it's been discussed a few times). I am drooling at how this thing will shine in that situation. It's definitely gonna become my goto instrument in the acoustic type situations.

Anyway.... Just thought I'd share my fun...

When I get a chance I'll post a pic of my two Sadowsky's together.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Glad to hear it worked out. Ive never been disappointed by anything with a Sadowsky logo on it

Rob

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Now that looks neat. I like that one a lot more than the standard "modern"-styled ones.

12. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    well said - my feelings as well

beautiful bass and I bet those pickups really provide perfect fretless sounds.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Very cool! I can't afford to look at that website anymore!