1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yet another screed about how it is a drag to be a bass player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by socialleper, Nov 29, 2018.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The various levels of disrespect bass players get from other musicians, either intentionally or unintentionally, is fairly well documented. The one that grinds my gears is being treated that way by builders and merchants of music related goods. I have just as much money as a guitar player, you should really want to separate me from it.
    I have gnashed my teeth and lamented the lack of gear choices in stores, the number of chart\tabs books for bass, and the iffy quality of both when they are available. Now that I'm getting into DYI recording I have found a new target at which to aim my ire: Amp sim and impulse responses. The options for plugins are vast, but the number of them for bass, and the variety of them is maddeningly small. You can find a sim of every damn fool version of a guitar amp Marshall, Orange, or Mesa ever made. If all I wanted was Ampeg sims, I'd be covered. (These guys do know there are more bass amp builders on the planet than Ampeg, right?) I can get plugin packs that will contain 70 heads, out of which maybe 12 will be for bass. Plus maybe 4 cabs out of 50 will be for bass. So I can spend too much on stuff I won't use (guitar heads, cabs, pedals, rack gear) or can't use (every 12" guitar speaker ever made, check; any speaker options for bass, STFU) or get free one with generic tones I wouldn't wish on anyone.
    MAKE STUFF FOR BASS PLAYERS AND WE WILL BUY IT.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Word of the day: screed.

TolerancEJ and Misfit Wookiee like this.
  3. Sounds like fun, but don't Do Yourself In with it :smug:

Line 6 has, & then they stop, because no one is buying it:

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_511671.056_sunburst.

This is the Variax bass, discontinued long ago, because they weren't popular enough.
    Only one famous person plays one, that I know of:

3691794069_dbd0983089.

That's Gary Sinise, (Lt. Dan).

AFAIK their new Helix works fine for bass, but you're right it's lacking in BASS amp models.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Never in time has there been as much bass specialized gear available. Buy online.
    Physical stores have mostly disappeared. The ones that remain sell one bass every 30 electric guitars and 100 acoustic guitars.
    There is nothing for them to gain from stocking bass gear and the gear you want wo'nt be found in shops anyway.

pcake and MonetBass like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's not about respect, or lack thereof.

It's a simple matter of numbers.

I worked in a store for almost a decade. For every one bass we sold, we sold 27 guitar on average. For every bass we sold, we usually sold a tiny $60 practice amp. Virtually no bass amp gear sold at our store. (And three of us who worked there were bass players, so it's not as though we didn't carry any or know all the stats.)

If I owned a store, I would have half of my guitar/bass budget in Fender guitar stuff, a quarter in Ibanez guitar stuff, an eight or more in acoustic guitars, and whatever is left in bass stuff. That's what sells. Period.

It's no different from left handed basses. No need to make every model for lefties. They would rot on the shelf.

6. Yep. It’s math. In my area there are 25 ‘guitarists’ for every bassist. Hence, that’s where the money is....

TolerancEJ, MonetBass and lfmn16 like this.
  7. The diction contained within this rant is pure poetry. Your mastery of the English language is nothing short of spectacular.

Misfit Wookiee likes this.
  8. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I don't know if you are being sarcastic.

knuckleduster likes this.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I can’t speak to any gaps in recording technology, but in my experience, a good bassist is revered and respected as a band mate and collaborator. I never understood the mindset that the bassist is the low man on the totem pole. I think it exists in your mind.

pie_man_25, lfmn16, OldDog52 and 2 others like this.
  10. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm rezzing this dead horse so I can kick it some more.
    STL (who is now partnered with Ignite Amps) released a new Emissary guitar amp and IR loader without any updates to their SHB1 bass sim. Then they released a Guitar pack with 5 sims and cab IRs, but only one bass rig. An old 1969 Ampeg and 810. A 50 year old setup that had already been put out there by a few companies.
    Lame.
    I've been looking into the Line 6 Helix. It at least has some interesting bass. You have to spend hundreds on a bunch of useless guitar junk to get them, but it is the only place I've seen an Aguilar gear.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    If he was, there would/should be an emoji of some sort at the end of his post, I would think. I know, I always use them (except when I deliberately leave one out ;)). Unfortunately, even when I do use them, there are some folks who just don't get it. Pretty sad. :rollno: (Not talking about you, it is others that come to mind, usually those with NO sense of humor).

I think he was serious, you wrote a very eloquent post (although, I'd use more paragraphs). ;)

12. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Woe is me! Oh, woe!:woot:

QweziRider likes this.
  13. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Us.
    Woe is us.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

I think that it happens when people think they are second class citizens, act like second class citizens, and allow themselves to be treated like second class citizens. It's fed by this whole, "I'm only here to support everyone else," "If anyone realizes I'm playing, I'm not doing my job," "I shouldn't play above the 5th fret," "I shouldn't play anything faster than quarter notes," etc, etc, etc.

I've never been treated like that and wouldn't put up with it for a second.

Misfit Wookiee and Nashrakh like this.
  15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Let’s call that “guitars sold”. Most will not get played much. It’s still all about the sales numbers.

socialleper likes this.
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    1. More guitarists than bassists.
    2. More difference between guitar amps than bass amps.
    3. Guitar tones more prominent.

It's not an insult, it's capitalism.

lfmn16 likes this.
  17. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    1. There is a discrepancy between guitars sold, and actual guitar players vs bass players in a band. The ratio of actual guitar players to bass players is 1:1 or 2:1. Maybe 3:1 in some of these goofy country bands with too many guitars that you can't hear anyway.
    2. I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Because of the lack of FX and drive, you can hear more difference between bass amps than guitar amps. Just like there is more tonal differences between basses than guitars because there are really more configuration options for bass than guitar.
    3. Depends on the music. This is far from universal.

My argument is a capitalist one. Bass players have money. I frequently can't spend mine because stores don't have what I need, or what I want simply isn't being made. I'm particular, but not that out there. Businesses are leaving money on the table by ignoring the untapped market of bass players that like bass as much as guitar players like guitars.

18. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Of course you hear more difference in bass gear - you are a bassist. But the average person hears more with other instruments.

Do you really think you are being insulted? I am sure most companies want to make as much money as they can. If the market was there, so would the product. I think @twofingers and @Killed_by_Death said pretty well.

Killed_by_Death and Pacman like this.
  19. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The average person is a dolt that doesn't know a bass from a guitar. That's not what we are talking about here. You also sort of made my point. There is just as much different between bass amps and basses as their is guitar guitar.
    The idea of "other instruments" being more prominent is a broad talking point with little objective facts to back it up. Music is varied as is people's hearing. You are making a false assumption that has lead to the weak selection of gear for bass players.

I just re-read my posts. I don't see the words insulted in there. I mentioned being disrespected by other musicians, which is a topic covered at length in other places.
    What this particular rant is about is the fact that my money spends just as well as a guitarists,' but for some reason, people don't seem to want to take it.
    Song books for modern releases? Nope.
    A full spectrum of brands and models at stores? Nope.
    A broad collection of Amp sims and Impulse Responses? Nope.
    Is it intentionally spiteful or malicious? No, of course not. Is it born out of laziness or ignorance? Most likely. Is it highly annoying to the point of angering? For me, yes. If you don't have that problem, cool.

20. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No, I get you and understand. But not enough people will put out the money for the product for the companies to spend the money to develop such a product. I don't think either ignorance or laziness has anything to do with it. Read post #5.