Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yet another string question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I recently picked up a Shen Willow. I love this bass. Here's my question. I haven't yet found a string that I'm totally happy with.

It came with D'addarios Hybrids but I have always disliked them.

I have Spiro Weichs on my other bass and love them but they are really bright on this bass.

I currently have Obligatos on it and they are the best yet but I am having a hard time with the rubberyness of the strings. I played weichs for 12 years and they feel way different. I like the warmth they bring to the sound but I'm not crazy about the feel. I also don't find them to be a very loud string.

I'd love any suggestions.

2. Based on your profile, it looks like you play mostly pizz rather than bowing. From your e-mail, it seems like you prefer the feel of steel strings rather than the softer synthetics like Obligato.

Since the Sprio Weichs are too bright on your bass, you'd be looking for a less bright (darker?) type of steel string. I hear the Jargars fit this description. I believe Francois has tried them and he may be in on this thread shortly. I have never tried Jargars, so I don't know first-hand.

The best pizz strings I've tried so far are Dominants (which are of the softer variety, kind of like Obligatos), and a steel string called Pirastro Flat Chromesteels, which have the same sort of feel under the fingers as Spiros. They also are a bright sounding string, so you might not like them any more than the Sprio Weichs. Good luck.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Jargars are VERY dark strings.
    I don't think you'd like them.
    Maybe Pirastro Permanents? They are fuller sounding than FlatChromes IMO.
    Pirastro Flexocors are warm. I just don't know if you'd find them too dark.
    The E is somewhat weak and flabby too. Players often replace it with something else.
    Did you try Helicore Orchestrals? They're warmer than Hybrids.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I haven't tried D'Addario Orchestra on this bass. I tried them on my other bass and didn't like them much but this bass behaves very differently.

The thing about the Obigatos is that I like the way they sound. I will occasionally do some arco an the bow great. I just can't get used to the feel for pizz. I've only been using them for about a month but I still have trouble excuting things that I could do with ease on a stiffer feeling string. I was a died in wool steel string guy for my first 13 years as an DB player. Maybe I just need to give some more time.