yet another string question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I recently picked up a Shen Willow. I love this bass. Here's my question. I haven't yet found a string that I'm totally happy with.

It came with D'addarios Hybrids but I have always disliked them.

I have Spiro Weichs on my other bass and love them but they are really bright on this bass.

I currently have Obligatos on it and they are the best yet but I am having a hard time with the rubberyness of the strings. I played weichs for 12 years and they feel way different. I like the warmth they bring to the sound but I'm not crazy about the feel. I also don't find them to be a very loud string.

I'd love any suggestions.

2. Based on your profile, it looks like you play mostly pizz rather than bowing. From your e-mail, it seems like you prefer the feel of steel strings rather than the softer synthetics like Obligato.

Since the Sprio Weichs are too bright on your bass, you'd be looking for a less bright (darker?) type of steel string. I hear the Jargars fit this description. I believe Francois has tried them and he may be in on this thread shortly. I have never tried Jargars, so I don't know first-hand.

The best pizz strings I've tried so far are Dominants (which are of the softer variety, kind of like Obligatos), and a steel string called Pirastro Flat Chromesteels, which have the same sort of feel under the fingers as Spiros. They also are a bright sounding string, so you might not like them any more than the Sprio Weichs. Good luck.

3. Jargars are VERY dark strings.
    I don't think you'd like them.
    Maybe Pirastro Permanents? They are fuller sounding than FlatChromes IMO.
    Pirastro Flexocors are warm. I just don't know if you'd find them too dark.
    The E is somewhat weak and flabby too. Players often replace it with something else.
    Did you try Helicore Orchestrals? They're warmer than Hybrids.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I haven't tried D'Addario Orchestra on this bass. I tried them on my other bass and didn't like them much but this bass behaves very differently.

The thing about the Obigatos is that I like the way they sound. I will occasionally do some arco an the bow great. I just can't get used to the feel for pizz. I've only been using them for about a month but I still have trouble excuting things that I could do with ease on a stiffer feeling string. I was a died in wool steel string guy for my first 13 years as an DB player. Maybe I just need to give some more time.