Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yet another stupid question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so i got my 800RB and my 1x15 RBH in. thanks to the people on this board i got it set up without blowing anything up.

the amp arrived earlier. while i was waiting for the cab i hooked the 800RB up to my old 1x15 peavey combo during practice. IT WAS LOUD. during practice i had the volume and gain on 2.

when i got the GK cab in and set them up (oh sounded so sweet) i was practicing with the volumes up half way.

why was the peavey and GK head SOOOO much louder than the GK cab and GK head?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'ma take a guess and say that the GK head was putting a lot more power into the speaker than the Peavey was. If it's an older Peavey speaker, it's probably a Black Widow or somesuch, which were pretty killer speakers.

But that's a guess, since I don't know what model/year the Peavey is.

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    no i'm asking why the GK head and old peavey combo.....combo was sooooo much louder than the GK head and GK cab combo. :)

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah.

Well, the 1x15 is an 8 ohm cab, so you're not getting the full juice from the head, while the Peavey is probably getting all of the power it's supposed to (4 ohms or whathaveyou) from the head in the combo.

Again, guesswork.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    no no no. i put the GK head on the peavey combo and it was crazy loud.......even louder than the GK head and the GK cab.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Okay, combine my last two posts then, and It should make a modicum of sense.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What exactly does "i put the GK head on the peavey combo" mean? What was plugged into what?

If you were just connecting the Peavey's speaker to the GK, the fact that the Peavey's speaker may be much more efficient and a lower impedance (4 ohms vs. 8 ohms) would make a huge differnce.

Are you sure that you're using the 300 watt amp part of your 800RB with your GK cabinet? The GK has two amplifiers in it, one is rated 300 watt at 4 ohms (200 watts at 8 ohms?) and the other is rated 100 watt at 8 ohms. The jacks are clearly marked on the back of your amp.

If you were using the 800RB as some sort of preamp for the Peavey combo (I don't know how easy it is to get at the speaker wiring on a Peavey combo), that's a different story entirely. This relates back to my first question...what does "i put the GK head on the peavey combo" mean?

8. Superfly7044

Superfly7044

Jun 19, 2004
    If you ran your head into a combo it took an already amplified signal and amplified it again

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i just put the GK head on top of the peavey combo and connected the GK head to an input on the peavey combo (power amp in i think) with a speaker cable.

yeah i'm connected in the 300 watt input on the GK head.

the peavey jimmy rig was LOUD with the volumes at 2. to get the same output with the GK setup i have the volumes halfway up.

wierd?

on a side note: when is your amp too loud. i'm using a passive fender right now. is there kinda a point you don't want to pass in general. like halfway up maybe. i know you want to stop when it starts distorting. i was just wondering if anyone has any general info.

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ah ha.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Um, care to explain this? I'm rather sure this isn't how amplifiers and signals work.

12. Is this how you connected the GK head to the Peavey:

-plugged speaker cable into "speaker out" on GK head
    -plugged other end of speaker cable into "power amp in" on Peavey

If so, you were drving the Peavey amp with the already amplified speaker-level signal of the GK. The "poweramp in" is not designed to handle that much power, so you were flirting with disaster, you could easily have completely fried the power amp section of the Peavey.

When dealing with amps, there's three voltage levels to consider that can be plugged into a 1/4 phone plug.
    1) The instrument level voltage, which is much less than one volt. This is what comes out of your bass.
    2) Line level voltage, which is about one volt. This is what comes out of the preamp out, and this is what's intended to plug into the power amp's input.
    3) Speaker level voltage. This can be around 40 volts or so, doing the math off the top of my head, for your amp. It'll be even more for bigger amps.

Plugging 40 volts into an input that's designed for 1 volt is not good.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Nashvillebill did a fine job of explaining what's going on.

I as kind of afraid that Bayou-Brawler was doing that from the results that he was getting.

As Nashvillebill wrote, excessive signal at the power amp input of the Peavey will certainly cause it to burn out.

Bayou-Brawler, on your side note...you're right, generally you want to avoid distortion (clipping) but the Boost circuit in the 800RB is designed to give you some mild distortion (growl).