Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another trussrod question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassic83, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a Stew-Mac Hot Rods truss- how exactly do you rout for it? Does it need a concave channel like a single-action rod, or is it a straight rout? And what does it anchor to? In single-action, you rout for an anchor, like a washer to pull against the wood, but not on these? Sorry if I seem stupid about it, but it looks like a channel is routed, it's dropped in, cover with a bit of tape, and that's it. Surely I'm missing something here... :confused:

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    All you need is a straight rout(e). You had it right, but I'm wondering if you need to epoxy the end so it doesn't come up.

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Cool- I wonder about the epoxy as well...don't want it to come sliding out inadvertantly! Thanks.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Don't epoxy it in. Normal tension on the rod during use will keep it where it is. On the off chance that you don't need to use the rod to set up the bass, you can put a tiny bit of tension on the rod to keep it in place.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Thanks, Matt. So, I just rout it as a straight channel, maybe 1/32" deeper than the thickest point of the rod, drop it in, mask the channel, and put on the fingerboard, eh? Or should I make it flush? Could you send me a pic, by any chance?