1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yet another Valenti Review: #017 5 string Vintage Style PJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Wilson, Apr 14, 2006.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Valenti 5 string Precision Bass
    D_Wilson_P5_017.
    Specs:
    warmoth alder body
    warmoth maple neck w/ rosewood
    Nordstrand NP5 neck/FS5 bridge
    Aguilar obp-2 preamp with active/passive
    weight: 9lbs

build time (deposit to receipt): just under 4 months

I ordered this around mid October 2005, and got it around second week of February. Haven't had as many gigs in last few months as usual, plus I don't like to write a review as soon as I receive something. There's some duplicated text here from the Geddy Vee review, for some things that applied to both basses.

I had received the Geddy Vee five string jazz from Nino the month before, the work here was of a similar high quality. Very nicely set up, fastidiously neat wiring in cavity. Again, I slightly adjusted the pickup heights to suit my playing style - usually playing over the bridge pickup, favouring it slightly with the blend pot. Similarly, I replaced the Sadowsky strings with Ken Smith Rock Masters (.045 to .130, taper B).

As with the Geddy, the neck is very comfy and easy to play. Being alder, this bass is also warmer sounding than the Geddy Vee. I generally prefer not to have stacked knobs, so I did without a tone control in this bass. The obp-2 preamp has the treble at a higher frequency than normal (6.5khz) which can sound harsh for boosting, but does a very nice job when cutting treble.

I debated whether to go for 3 band mid control instead of bass/treble, but I think in the end I made the right decision. In the past, I used to use a lot of house rigs so I appreciated having onboard mid available. But these days I'm mainly using my own rig so I can set my sound on my amp and adjust necessary on the bass. As with all Aguilar onboard preamps, a little goes a long way with the bass boost - it's like it goes from 0/10 to 4/10, with nothing in between - it would be nice for it to be a bit more granular in it's control. But that's nothing to do with Nino's work.

I played this bass out the other week at a covers gig at a bar in Westchester.
    I was playing through my Thunderfunk amp into Epifani UL-112. The sound was deep and punchy, not as crisp as the Geddy Vee but with plenty of articulation. The preamp was flat just about all the time, I cut the treble slightly from time to time for slap stuff since the strings were brand new at the time and still a bit bright sounding

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to keep this bass. But that's no reflection on Nino - he made me exactly what I asked for, and did a great job of it. But I think that I fundamentally prefer the sound of an ash bodied bass. In fact, I have Nino building me a 4 string ash bodied P/J bass at the moment...

I've attached some clip samples, playing quality not as good as could be :)
    Recording setup: bass->Tascam US-122 interface -> Cubasis
    For each clip, first half is recorded with preamp flat and then with treble cut slightly and bass boosted slightly.

Here's a link to the Geddy Vee review thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237310
    I recorded the same licks as I did with that bass, so you can compare and contrast both basses.

Attached Files:

2. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    some more clips

Attached Files:

3. Could you please post this review in the "gear review" section for posterity?

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very Nice Dave !

5. I prefer the tone of the "Geddy V" a whole lot more.

6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    As Major pointed out to me... I have your bass's long lost brother. Nice bass Dave!

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have the opposite impression. :)

Nice clips dave, I bet that bass will sound fantastic in the mix.

8. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Thanks for the review and sound clips, David!

Both of the basses sound great.

Andy
    KayCee

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    indeed, very similar looking!