Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet Another Versus Thread (Stingray vs. Daryl Jones)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brandt Scanlan, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Hello everyone. I really don't think this exact topic has been done before, so at the risk of angering the "do a search" trolls, I'm starting a new thread. Stay off my case, you trolls.
    Anyway, I'm having a reall tough time deciding between a Stingray and a Lakland Daryl Jones Signature jazz bass. I like the tone of both (bright and snappy!), I like the look of both, and I find them both very comfortable to play. So I'm kinda stuck. Any thoughts from fellow Talkbassers on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you have played and heard both, I don't know what more we can add to help you make the decision. Both are excellent basses. Both are widely loved. At this point, you just have to pick the one that YOU like the best.

3. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    That really is the bottom line. Haven't heard anything negative about either. They're both solidly-built instruments. So what feels and sounds (and even looks) right to you?

I've never played a Daryl Jones, only played a couple of Laklands ever. So I probably have no business in this thread. :p

But I recently played a MM Stingray for the first time. (What took me so long, right?) The look just never caught my attention. But when wondering a music store, bored (a dangerous situation), I took a Ray5 off the wall and was immediately impressed. I got kinda a crush on it. I could see one of those in my future. Nothing I could put my finger on that particularly blew me away, it just seemed "right" in my hands and, acoustically, to my ears. I ran out of there before they could convince me to plug it in. I could have afforded a bass that day, then again I couldn't. You know what I mean? I had the money, but I had things I really needed that money for instead of a bass. (Like I said, dangerous time to be in a music store. :rollno: )