Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another [well, you know] thread

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    My bud Carlos calls me and tells me he's interested in an Old Standard bass. Not being a dealer myself I of course tell him that Arnold is the guy to see about these basses. Well he goes up to see the Schnitzenegger and buys a Standard. Just not an old one, a new Cleveland NS. Fell in love with it, he did. Gonna be playin' it on the road with Wynton. Arnold was just a little too late getting it in that Ipod commercial though.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Sounds like you should become a Rep for Arnold. It would save alot of people the trip and make all those NYC and Islander Bassists happy.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I guess it wouldn't be too hard to put together a "well you know" endorsers list. I'd be happy to be on that list. It's amazing, but not surprising, the virtually unanimous acclaim that the Well You Know basses have garnered. :eyebrow:

Yes, folks, I know we've been down this road before, but...they really are that good.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Wow! He's very fortunate that Arnold had one there when he went. Otherwise, he may never have his soulmate. :)

Was it a hybrid or laminate?

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

...or Arnold could just shoot him a percentage. ;)

6. Holy schmoly...I e-mailed you yesterday asking somethings about Carlos' rig and you graciously replied...thanx...and now you say he bought an NS :eek: Do you know if it was a ply or a hybrid?

gomez

7. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey! Carlos was playing on an old German bass labeled Hornsteiner [not likely]. You also asked about his strings- the g and d are Dugoleckis [43, 52 gauge] and Gotz gut e and a. Carlos is very particular about his strings. I believe the NS is a ply Cleveland.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Nah, best for good friend to just exchange favors rather than money. I think I may get a free lunch out of the deal though.

9. Ha! You know what they say about free lunches....

10. yeah, they don't taste as good as a stolen lunch! ;)

gomez

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Of course, just kidding.

12. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well, I got my free lunch yesterday and it was tasty. Huge cheeseburger with the best curly fries I ever had. Saw Arnold's new shop and was I impressed! Very beautiful and functional. Lot's of great basses including one of Nnicks. A very impressive instrument. If you can go get thee to Arnolds. His right hand man Jed is also a force to reckon with[ a junior BLABLA member].
    Also a very big thing is in sight for all you New Standard fans but it's a secret[and no, I'm not giving out clues on this one!]

13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I'm popping in Saturday. Will I see the clues? If I do, my lips will be sealed. I'm gonna pick up my Dodd for a few weeks to do a Concert and leave the Martini. It needs a patch in the top, small split up by the shoulder from the dry weather. Plus, my Son's Shen needs a FB dressing and spring break ends Sunday. Too bad you couldn't have waited a few days. I never finish all my fries!

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I know what it is! Free curly fries for all his NS customers!

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Do we get them supersized too? :D

16. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    I have a guess in mind. Wouldn't want to openly speculate, though. :rolleyes:

17. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    Well..it would make sense to me that the new suprise is
    %*))& 5@%6$4 50$5)@7$

(decoder ring time gang..tee hee..anyone seen "Beautiful Mind"..?)

18. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Actually, we are working on a moveable/removeable neck travel bass. Guitar-maker Ken Parker (of Fly Guitar fame) has designed and prototyped the neck joint and we have it up and running. I'm currently working on the body, scroll and case design. Thanks for all the props, guys...this is getting embarrassing.:)

19. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    Well, I was wrong. :oops: I saw the bare Cleveland and thought maybe there would be DIY finish version available. I believe Arnold once mentioned on their website's forum that something like that was under consideration as a cost saving option.

20. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.