1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

yet another "what bass should I get" thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FeltFedora, Sep 13, 2010.

1. FeltFedora

FeltFedora

Sep 10, 2010
    Hello --Its been years since I picked up a bass or any other instrument for that matter. I played a bit in High School en then I just hacked around mostly and lever learned more than a few Megadeth tunes... Anyways I am 38 now and for years have wanted to get back into playing. For what ever reason (wife, kids, job..) it has always been put on the back burner every time the desire peaked. It's always kind of aggravated me that I never learned to read music and take the instrument more seriously. Last month my wife an I were talking about things we would still like to do ( I mentioned I wanted to play bass. She looked at me odd and accused me of having a mid life crisis... (I'm not - n But then she was totally cool and told me to go out buy a bass and sign up for lessons.

So I am coming to you folks for a bit of advice.. I have pretty much settled on two Basses at my local shop. One is a new Squire bass (brand new) and the other is a used Fender Jazz. Its a Mexican that was produced in 1986. It looked fine (had definitely seen some use as the paint was not great) but the shop owner said that they went all over it and its in perfect working order They also warantee it for 90days. I checked around and was told it is a very reputable shop that stands behind their sales. It was recommended I take lessons from them.

So do you have any opinions on what I should get? The 24 year old Jazz Bass for 299 or the new Squire Jazz for 350. I was all set for a Squire but it will save me $50 on the older one. I really don't care if it is not aesthetically perfect.

I am sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but it is a lot of money for me to spend. Plus the more I look at the forums the more confused I get. I can't wait to start playing.

All the best,
    FF

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Is the Squier a Classic Vibe model? Those are pretty sweet for the price.

3. FeltFedora

FeltFedora

Sep 10, 2010
    ...it is. It was a white 60's style.

4. I was never a huge fan of the '80s Mexican basses. Don't but it without giving it a workout first. Or ask what the store's return policy is...

The Squire is well loved around here...

5. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Don't cheap out. At your age, I wouldn't spend less than $1K, and I'd get a P-bass (okay - hit me all you J-bass guys).

6. If it's the Classic Vibe jazz, I would say yes, definitely get it. Those are great. Better than the MIM, IMO.

7. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Both Squier and MIM Fenders have improved greatly over the years. Squier gets a lot of thumbs-up - and you do have the option of upgrading the PUPs etc., at a later date.

Play them both - whichever one feels better in your hands - well, you'll know what to do then...

8. You should buy the bass that feels the best for you and
    sounds the best for your audience.

slawie

9. FeltFedora

FeltFedora

Sep 10, 2010
    OK I was wrong... its actually a 1994. WhenI went back to the music store he told me it was a 1994. My wife says I never listen... may she's right. :) Anyways he told me to contact Fender and they would give me all the info on the bass. He said I can change my mind at anytime and pick out something else.

I guess I can't change the pickups with "regular" jbass pickups... Does this mean it sounds different than a regular Jazz bass?

Also I noticed when you flip the bass around you can see an outline under the paint where the pieced body comes together.. The paint is all still very smooth but is this unusual or normal for some of these basses?

Date: 4/28/1994
    Model Name: Standard Jazz Bass®
    Model Number: 013-6500-(Color #)
    Series: STANDARD SERIES
    Body: Poplar
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood (9.5” Radius/241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20
    Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.5” (38 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Standard
    Bridge: Standard Vintage Style
    Pickguard: 3-Ply White
    Pickups: Standard Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
    Pickup Switching: N/A
    Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup),
    Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup),
    Master Tone
    Colors: (506) Black,
    (532)* Brown Sunburst add $50.00,
    (573) Midnight Blue,
    (575) Midnight Wine
    (580) Arctic White
    (Polyester Finish)
    Strings: Super 7250ML, #073-7250-005, (.045, .065, .080, .100)
    Unique Features:
    Source: Mexico
    Accessories: None
    U.S. MSRP: $449.99
    NOTICE: Prices and Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice
    INTRODUCED: 1991
    DISCONTINUED: 7/2001
    DISCONTINUED COLORS: (502) Lake Placid Blue (1/98),
    (525) Crimson Red Metallic (1/98),
    COMMENTS: From 1991 to 7/2001, this bass used the same narrower neck pickup (0036437000) in both the neck and bridge positions. It was the size of the American Jazz neck pickup. One cannot drop-in regular replacement Jazz Bass pickups with a wider bridge pickup into these basses, as the bridge pickup is too big and would not fit in the routed cavity.
    The upgraded version which was introduced in 7/2001 used the traditional Jazz Bass pickup arrangement and may be upgraded without mods to the body.
    WRENCH SIZES: Truss Rod 3/16" pn# 0038467000, Saddle Height 1/16" pn# 0021109000

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021