1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

yet another what pickups are good for me thread...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sorken, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Sorken

Sorken

Nov 20, 2013
    SWEDEN
    Youprobably had millions of these threads over the years but im totally lost on this one. I have myself a squire p/j bass (jazz pickup in bridge position) i really love this bass but i cant get it to sound as good as my main bass and i reall would want to have 2 basses that sounds fantastic so it doenst really matter wich one i pickup for either recording or gigging.

The music we play is thash-metal and what i want is something punchy powerfull that really cuts through the mix. I use an ashdown mag 300 with two 4x10 cabs and while i can make myself clearly rumbling with just sheer volumepower itself the result isnt very pleasing as it just makes the sound a mess.

So my thought is that i think the electronics in the squier probably isnt up to par.

With my aria pro ii, i can get results similair to the bass sound in this video and be just as clearly heard at way lower volumes and it doenst overpower the sound of either guitars or drums.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sounds like a P bass into an SVT.

What is your main bass? What is your budget for new pickups?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm over the moon with the EMG Geezer Butler PJ set. Superbly even and present mids with enough high end to cut if that's your thing but not too much to where you can't dial it back.

4. Sorken

Sorken

Nov 20, 2013
    SWEDEN
    My main bass is an Old aria pro ii jpj-3, i posted it in the aria pro ii thread. Its a rare model witch has 32" scale and a wierd pickup combo. thing is that i dont know what pickups is there stock so im all lost as to what i could try to fit in my squier. Right now i have no budget for pickups, if i can find i pair i think will work then i will get the money to buy them. I would love to stay away from actives though.

This is the exact aria model im using.
    http://music-kinopoopiea.ocnk.net/data/music-kinopoopiea/product/base/DS02245940.jpg

5. Sorken

Sorken

Nov 20, 2013
    SWEDEN
    Can anybody tell me how these sound in a band setting? ive seen some videos, but they dont tell me how they sound together with a band, im after something with sharp attack and punch.

Quarter Pound P/j set?
    The EMG p/j set?
    Dimarzio dp126

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hard attack and punch says EMG PJ to me. I like the QP and Model PJ sets but they have somewhat dulled highs.

7. Sorken

Sorken

Nov 20, 2013
    SWEDEN
    Upon further researching id like to ask if someone have any experience with the
    Dimarzio dp127(split p rail monstrosity)
    and a dimarzion ultra jazz in the bridge position?

adi77 likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Only the Ultrajazz in the bridge position. Very bright and midscooped.

iiipopes likes this.
  9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My experience as well.

10. Sorken

Sorken

Nov 20, 2013
    SWEDEN
    Bright sounding seems like it could be used to give the sound some attack/cut through the mix like i want. And use a Fat middle pickup to give the sound some power.

ill see if i can research this further. Or ill just try it out, its not like pickups cant be swapped again if need be.

Still if anyone have further tips that i haventh thought of then please just write here :)

11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    On 2-pickup passive basses, I put a .01 capacitor inline from the hot lead of the bridge pickup to the wiper lug of the bridge pickup volume pot to eliminate impedance drop and comb filtering. Then when soloing I can dial in as much low end as required from either the neck pickup or an EMG EXB or both. I also change out the tone cap from the standard .047 to a .033 to retain more mids in the mix when I roll off the tone.

12. Sorken

Sorken

Nov 20, 2013
    SWEDEN
    Anybody got experience with the emg PJHZ set? like someone menationed the EMG´s should be what im after but id really like a passive setup. Ive read that the HZ series is pretty much the same as the active´s but toned down a bit.

13. Sorken

Sorken

Nov 20, 2013
    SWEDEN
    Screw it! i pulled the trigger on a PJHZ set! ill post results once i got it installed.

harleyman888 and JimmyM like this.