Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another what should i get question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marineman227, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Okay i'm playing punk/emo, have a fender p-special bass, and $1000 looking for a show amp i already have a practice one. I've always been fairly partial to ampeg but am just looking for suggestions. If it helps at all i was leaning towards some kind of 4x10 cab and have no idea what i want for the amp or even a pre/power amp setup would be fine if i can get it for the right price. Thanks and sorry for the annoying newby type thread.
    E

2. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Currently, I'm using this rig. The cab is a brand new Ampeg SVT 410HLF, and the amp is a '67 Traynor YBA-3, which has been modded to use 6550s. Total cost was $950, and it does whatever I need it to do.

3. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Ampeg B2Re and an avatar kappa pro 4x10. (or a 1x15 and a 2x10 from avatar).

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Dont buy the B2Re unless your on friggon crack. You can get double the power for the same amount of money. I owned the B2R, and it is BARELY enough for small gigs... the B2Re only has 100Watts of extra power, which is MEANINGLESS.

$1000 will get you this:
    -BBE Bmax Preamp new at $300
    -QSC RMX1450 new at $350 I believe.... there was a special place online selling them for that price.

That's over budget.... but if you go used, you can land the preamp for $200, and the amp for $250. With a rack and cables you'd have about $450 left. That'd get you a B212, and leave you with enough money to almost get another cab, should you desire.

If you REALLY need a lot of volume... I suggest you spend less on the amp and more on the cabs... cuz the cabs will give you more volume than more power would. Maybe get a used RMX850 for under $200, and get a Sansamp BDDI to drive it ($120 used). Then you could get a fullstack from Avatar, and you've have an 800Watt tower.

But... I only suggest that if you REALLY need it. ;)

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For punk and rock and such, I'd say that there is no question to the head you want to get in this price range. Traynor YBA-200 is 200 watts all tube (sounds like 800 watts SS), sounds awesome. Its about $600. Pair that with an Avatar or Dr. Bass cab of your choosing, and you have a killer rig, well suited for any type of rock and punk and such. However, keep your eyes out for a used rig as well. For $1000, I picked up a Boogie 400+ with a 215 cab.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Out come the Avatar guys, and soon to follow will be the Yorkville posse. :)

What about Gallien Krueger? They make some bullet proof gear that is quite loud. Genz Benz is some good loud gear as well. If you're going to be a punk rocker, you need to round up a beasty Peavey amp and a 215 with some anarchy and Clash logos spray painted on it.

I'd look at a Mesa 400+, and an old 215 if it were me.

-Mike

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    How is that head in a live situation? I'm looking at picking one up from a tb'r here. Did you do the 6550 mod yourself?

I'm going to get the YBA-3 or a YBA200 (the new head) and I'm on the fence on which way to go.

I'm in the Avatar crew (as well as the traynor and Sunn groups) and I can't reccomend them enough for a great rig for the price. ;)

9. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish

It's good live, plenty of power, and is easy to dial in the sound I like (I like old-fashioned bass tone).

I bought the Traynor from an amp tech who was selling it for one of his customers. He did the 6550 mod. If you need details about that, you can look here.

BTW, both the Traynor and Ampeg are heavy (weight-wise). Quite a workout just to load them in and out.