Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another "whats the best choice in my situation?" thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Well I am in a pickle. I have a inadequate gk backline halfstack (125 watts) and I need more beef since my band has a semi-gig type thing coming up. I will have (at the most) 900 - 1000 dollars to spend. I am looking at the Ashdown Mag 300 watt head but I don't know what to get cab wise. I don't want to spend all my money but I do want something that will last and be able to handle atleast small to average sized clubs.

Is the Ashdown the best value? Is there something better?

What about those darn cabs?

Responses appreciated

2. As always I recomend an Avatar. I've got a B210 Neo 8ohm, but since you are in a band you might want to look into getting a bigger cabinet. For the money you can't really go wrong. I have the Ashdown MAG 300 myself and I like it. As to how my rig would hold up in a band situation I couldn't tell you, but it's plenty loud for what I'm doing.
    I hope this helps.

3. Hmm... Avatar... how much?

4. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    It shouldn't be too hard to find a used GK head in your price range (if you like the sound of your current stack, but just have problems with its volume). Peavey's a good loud inexpensive choice. Ashdown MAG's have a cool mojo, if that's the mojo that you're digging. And Hartke heads can be found used for pretty inexpensive and are loud and have a good clean tone. Of the inexpensive heads that I've played, those are the ones that I like.

Aguilar S410's and 810's from Musician's Friend are still stupid cheap for how good they are... You could always get a new head and add an 8 ohm 410 cab to your current cab (assuming your current cab is also 8 ohms and the head that you will buy will go down to 4 ohms as most will). That solution will move the most air...

For the best answers to your questions, you might want to give the rest of us a little more specifics... like how many guitarists are in your band and what amps do they play? Also, what kind of music do you play? And what is the head and cab you are playing now? Etc...

5. 2, one with a mesa boggie mark iv half stack and one with a line 6 spider II 212 combo. Needless to say very loud.

Rock/ hard rock its hard to describe. If you ever heard of Jimmies Chicken Shack that would help. Or Fugazi.

GK Backline 250 and a backline 1x15. Crappy, I know.

6. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Okay, you really need something loud...to get the most bang for the buck, I would reccomend either a used GK 700RB/1001RB, or a used Kustom Groovebass. You could probably find this stuff in the $400 range, give or take. As for cabs, either an Avatar 410 or 212 would get definitely get the job done.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Also, take a look at the Yorkville Sound XM400 head. Great sound and power for the money.

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Based on what you said, there's no reason not to have plenty o' fire power. I would get a 4x10 (that Aggie or an Avatar) and keep your 1x15... that should mean you could go up against any dual guitarist set up. And, yeah, I'd keep your eyes open for a used 700rb or 1001rb if you like the GK sound. Other than that, play as many cheap heads out there to eliminate the ones you know that you're definitely not going to want (that helped me discover that I in no way liked Ampeg, SWR, or Fender solid state heads even though I thought based on other peoples descriptions that they would amps that I would like). Another thought, if you do like the SWR sounds, that's another quality brand that can be found for pretty inexpensive used (even though I'm not personally crazy about them).

9. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Good Band. Currently addicted.

Avatar would be a good bet I guess in that price range. I am about to go for one in a week or 2 as well.

10. You like Jimmies Chicken Shack? I've met Jimi a few times and my guitarist is really good friends with him. Friends enough for him to get Jimi to take a 2 hour road trip to see us play one song. :hyper: