Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet Another: Which bass should I buy?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, May 17, 2005.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I want a bass that can play everything!? I am not a person who is limited to certain genre...

blue american 4-string fender jazz
    white active musicman 4-string stingray
    Yamaha trb 5 string
    blue Rickenbacker 4 string 4003

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    most definitely a red one :bassist:

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I play in a very eclectic cover band, and find that a J style bass does the best job of sounding OK on everything.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    A j bass ( or p) is pretty well old school industry standard. Dang near everything yuou hear recorded from 50's to 80's is a j or p bass. The musicman adds a little tonal variety to that. Can't go wrong with either of the first two choices. Don't let color make your decision, and play several of the same model, they do not all sound and feel the same.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Of the choices you mentioned I would go with a Jazz.

6. timinator

timinator

May 8, 2005
    Hmm... I'm convinced that American Fenders are ripoffs unless they have some years on them. Heads up for a copy with better wood, playability, and tone. Rick's are always cool just to look at, but I can't vouch for their abilities as a versatile main bass. Best start would be a MusicMan with two pickups: multiple useful sounds and the preamp can reign them in or let them howl!

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think if you play a lot of modern music and do covers of more modern artists (i.e. Linkin Park, Interpol and such) you may want to consider the TRB 5-string since a lot of modern music uses drop-D tuning. My housemate has a late 1990s BB-series 5-string and I love the electronics on it- I can dial in a wide variety of great tones.

Otherwise, go with a Jazz bass for the reasons everyone has said. Those things sound awesome in any musical context.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    On the 4 strings, I think USA Fenders they are very nice basses. If you go for the Deluxe it will be a touch more versitile than the standard.

There are lots of other good J style basses out there of course ...

9. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Go for the MIA deluxe Jazz!! I went into My local music stoor ready to walk out with either a Stingray or a Warwick Corvette and I was just about to get the Ray and the guy in the show room handed my the MIA J deluxe! and it blew both of the other away.

10. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Or a MIA Deluxe P!

Out of those, definatly the jazz.

Dont go the ric if you want to play all kinds of music....

11. Get a Musicman Bongo.......you can get the sounds of a lot of different styles just by turning a few knobs.

12. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    damn, looks my budget now is...$316.85...

However, I found a yamaha trb for $300 brand new. Played around with it... I could make so many different sounds with it... And it was active <--something im not very familliar with. Sounded nice slapping too, though im not one to judge, comparing it to my old passive 1975 p-bass...

As for the other choices i had before... I just dont have deep enough pockets.

So, with my budget in mind, I thought up of some other possible choices availible to me:

Epiphone EB0
    Epiphone Embassy(5 stiring)
    Rondomusic's SX SPJ-62
    Barracuda J-bass copy
    SX SJB-62QMD

Some of the above can be modified a bit with remaining cash i can find. with warmoth necks and badass bridges. Again, I want a bass that can play everything!? I am not a person who is limited to certain genre...

Thanks.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Brilliant! :bassist: