Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yet another which bass thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Jun 1, 2004.

which one?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2004.
  1. Peavey Cirrus 6 (maple top)

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Conlkin GT7

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Warwick Corvette Proline 6

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Dingwall Afterburner 6

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Ibanez BTB 1006

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Warwick Thumb 6

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. i need a six or seven string. my range is anywhere from $1500-$1800 Canadian currency (thats without taxes). my selection is.....

-peavey cirrus 6--->love the looks, and i have played a four stringed version. just curios tho, how much would one of these go with the maple top for in Canada (new and/or used)

-conklin GT7--->a little hard to come by in Canada, but i could order one. also, keep in mind that i would also have to order strings.

-corvette proline 6--->this one is not really one of my top choices, but its in my range, so why not add it to my poll.

-dingwall afterburner 6-->i am in driving distance to toronto, which is where club bass is. they are a major dingwall dealer, so it would be very accessable. also, how much would one of these go for in CDN funds for a standard six string.

-ibanez BTB 1006---> i have never played one. i have heard mixed reviews, but now on musicians friend, they are going for $799 which is roughly $1100 CAN. Great price.

-warwick thumb 6 BO--->just throwing out some ideas now
    before you vote, please acknowedge that i am only 16, and this kind of money is hard to come by. should i go all out and get oneof the better ones, or go for the BTB which is substantially cheaper.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I would say the Ibanez sounds good considering the price.. But buy what you think feels the best and has the best tone.

3. oops, forgot a few things.

-i play all styles of music (funk, metal, classical, jazz, rock, etc) therefore i need something versatile. i do alot of slap, tapping, and fingerstile.....so basically, i do everything, and need something that can do it all.

also, in reference to the warwicks, i can get them cheaper here. for example, the Thumb BO would run me around $1700-$1900

furthermore, just so you know, as of now, my main choice is the GT7. i was just wondering for the Canadians who own one, where do you get your strings? are they hard to find?

4. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i love my gt-7. :).

what i do for strings:

buy a six string set, and buy a single .22 wound guitar string, or a string close to that gauge, that would fit with the size of your other strings.

5. are the guitar strings long enough???

and what is your GT7 tuned to?

6. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    since i only need the one, and it's on the last peg, it does reach.

and i tune BEADGCF.

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Cirrus

They are a heck of an instrument, especially for the price. I waited for one to pop up used, and got one for about $550. That was for a four banger, though - not sure there are quite as many sixers out there. But they are a wonderful instrument. Great looks, playability, and the stock electronics are great. Solid ABM bridge, neck-thru.

Cons = gold hardware. I dislike gold hardware.

8. do you know roughly how much one would run for new??

and to cods, thanks alot. you have really influenced my decision, because my only beef with the GT7 was the strings, but if i can do that, then i will be set. i think that hopefully by the end of the summer, i will be crossing over to the dark side.

anyway, one last question to cods. how does the guitar string sound on the bass?? do you break yours often? when you pop on it, does it sound snappy?

9. bump.

come on people, i need help!!! can anyone tell me how much a dingwall afterburner 6 will cost from Club Bass in toronto

10. I'd go for the Peavey or Dingwall, I have a Cirrus 5 with the maple top and it is a awesome bass. Dingwalls are also hella nice but I don't know how much I would like the fanned fret thing.

11. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    From the <a href="http://www.clubbass.ca/hot/hot.html">clubbass website</a>

Dingwall 5-string
    Model: Afterburner II
    Body: Mahogany with Bubinga top
    Neck: Bubinga
    Fretboard: Wenge
    Finish: oil
    Pickups: FD-3 passive soapbar
    Preamp: Volume, 4 position rotary pickup mode selector (neck, bridge, series, parallel), Aguilar two band active boost/cut (treble, bass), BluEQube mid-contour switch, active/passive switch.
    Weight: 8.5 lbs.
    Case: SKB (included)
    Price: $2795.00

Ok - it's a 5, but that pretty much shows that a 6 will be way out of ur price range... furthermore, I'm not even sure if they make 6 stringed Afterburners. You might wanna drop them an email.
    How about second hand?

12. ^^thaks, i kind of forgot to check the club bass site.

anyway though, i dont want the Afterburner 2, due to the price pretty much. i was kind of looking for an Afterburner 1

13. bump.

i really need help, can anyone give me a price estimate for a new peavey cirrus 6, with the maple top. (in Canadian Funds)

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive recently fell in love with the warwick thumb tone... you can put me in for that. woot woot.

15. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    it sounds fine. i can't even tell.

i haven't broken a string yet.

kinda, when popping hard, but f you take it easy, it's good.

16. thanks alot. i guess my decision now is down to the GT7 and the Cirrus.

i would still be considering the dingwall, but im going to leave as an option until i get a set price when i go to toronto this summer.

also, i might still be stayin at a fiver, where as my main options are a musicman bongo HH 5, or a lakland skyline 55-02

17. Crazyfingers-
    in regards to the Dingwall six string, you'll have to call Club bas and ask for their price. Rusty pointed out an Afterburner II (AbII) 5 string bass, this is a very different bass than the Afterburner I (ABI). The AbII is a higher end, more feature laden bass (active/passive electonics, preamp, exotic woods) that higher price reflects these features (also remember thats a list price, not your price). If you look at the basscentral website (http://www.basscentral.com/2003/dingwall.shtml) you'll see that the list price of an Afterburner I 6 string (bottom of page) is considerably lower than what was cited for the ABII 5 string (do the conversion to get CDN dollars).
    Make the call and get the price from the horses mouth.
    frank
    PS Dingwalls are amazing basses and that 37" B string is the most clear sounding, articulate you'll ever hear. Also AbI's are passive and they set the standard of what a passive bass should sound like.

18. Ibanez has a nice price.