1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yet another "which one" thread - which 5er should I go for

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JonathanF, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Cort/Elrick Josh Paul 5

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Blade B-15RC

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Other (you are more than welcome to specify in the thread)

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. After eliminating some options, I think I'm down to these two:

• A Cort/Elrick designed Josh Paul signature model 5er.
    • A Blade (Gary Levinson) B-15RC which is essentially another "high-end-modern-jazz-styled-bass"

Both feature active electronics (Bartolini MK-1s on the "Cortrick", JS-15 Alnico pickups and BMB-1 preamp on the blade (pickups and electronics are blade-made).

I heard the electronics are the weak side of the "Cortrick", and I guess that if I mod the preamp/pickups on one after getting it it would cost even more than the blade one, which is made in Sweden.

I really have no idea what should I go for. I realize the cortrick has a modern sound to it and the blade probably has more growl, I sure am looking for some low-B growl but I don't know if I could get a modern sound out of the blade.

Thanks again,
    -Jonathan

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The Josh Paul sigs, the latest ones at least, were soo cool looking. I never played one, but its a great deal for a Elrick wannabe! ;)

3. Not even a single blade-vote? :-o

In some old threads people used to call them "European Lull's" :)

4. P.S Anyone knows the scale length on the Blade? It's not mentioned in their website.

5. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    get an sx five..

and yes cort have weaksauce electronics..

6. Got the Cortrick today :) GAS is gone.... :D I think it was a good choice for a 2nd bass.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    You won't get any responses on Blades from our TB's in the States. Levinson was one of the companies named in the recently settled lawsuit involving Fender trademarks. Sadowsky was another. Given the decision, I suspect they'll start showing up. I remember 4-5 years ago when I was one of the 2-3 guys using Markbass and nobody knew about them. Hopefully Blade will be one of those stories as well.

It's a European Mike Lull/Sadowsky story. Gary Levinson, an American, set up shop in SWitzerland fixing guitars and basses. Started his own line 20 years ago. Great instruments.

The Sadowsky NYC that I now have was almost another Blade. Blade is not the same league as Cort. It's more like a Metro.