Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet another wood combination question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Dec 21, 2004.

1. I just sent a Carvin Bunny Brunel five string back to Carvin. Beautiful instrument, great B string, well built and played fine but the tone just wasn't for me. I think my choice of woods had something to do with it. It had a 5 piece maple/walnut neck, birdseye maple fretboard, and swamp ash body sides. I found it to be too bright sounding, lacking in depth in the lower notes. It would be great for slapping though, but I want just a little more warmth.

I really liked the feel of it and would like to stick with the BB75 if I could find the right wood combination. My favorite
    4 string, a Warmoth bolt-on, has a maple neck, ebony fingerboard and a black korina body. If I could get this type of tone in a 5 string, I'd be really happy. Since Carvin doesn't use korina, would a maple neck, ebony board and mahogany body do the trick? I've read that mahogany and korina are similar in tone.

I've considered doing a 5 string Warmoth but it would be even heavier that my 4 banger.

I'd like to hear any suggestions on wood choices. Thanks in advance.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was tihnking as i was reading it that you should go with mahogany. For the fingerboard, perhaps rosewood.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I had an all-mahog BB75 w/ ebony board. It was warm sounding, pretty fat- not overly bright at all. I don't know how much of that really had to do with the woods though. I played a maple model and it wasn't that big of a difference.

Also had a Koa LB70 for a while, it was pretty similar in tone to the BB75.
    I found the Carvin tone a bit lackluster after using some nice high-end custom basses, but it wasn't that they sounded too thin or trebley/bright...

What pickup config are you favoring?

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Maple is supposed to be the brightest sounding finger board. Then Ebony, then Rosewood sounds the mellowest.

Did you try some flats on your bass? That would have mellowed out the sound a lot.

5. Xush: The bass has 2 H50N pickups, which are lower output than the J99s.
    I'm a firm believer that a bass should sound good unplugged, or at least pleasing to my ears. I didn't find the acoustic tone had much depth to it. If I had liked what I'd heard I might be more inclined to keep the bass and try different pickups and/or amp settings.

Michael: I'm a roundwound kind of guy and like to do some slapping. Roundwounds tend to sustain longer too, something I'm picky about. Interestingly, the BB75 didn't have have the sustain I was expecting (on some notes anyway) given that it's a neck-through. That's why I'm wondering if ebony and mahogany would be better choices for me.

Thanks for the comments

6. My custom Strat has two necks, one all maple and one with an ebony 'board. Swapping the two around, the ebony one is actually slightly brighter - at least it has a crisper attack.

7. The neck-thru would, in theory, allow the lowest fundementals to be heard. But the lack of oomph is really the lower midbass.

Alder body + bolt maple neck + rosewood fingerboard + single coils(J99) would have been the ideal for the sound you wanted.