1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yet another XVive U2 review

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by stratovani, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Several weeks ago I got myself an Xvive U2 wireless system, and I told myself that I wouldn't be posting a review until I tried it at a gig. I played one with it last Saturday night, and I've been a bit busy this week, but here's my review.

First of all it's a very simple system - a transmitter and a receiver, that's it. Runs on a charge via USB, and it lasted for three sets of an hour each. I did shut it off between sets since there was no point in leaving it on. The response was excellent, with no drop-offs at all, and I didn't notice any latency problems whatsoever. For me the best part was that I didn't have an instrument cable draped across my leg, so that was one less hazard to worry about. My biggest fear at a gig is tripping over my cable, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Another fun thing was switching basses during the gig. All I had to do was shut off the transmitter, then pull it out of one bass and plug it into another. Completely seamless, and no loud pop when shutting it off or plugging and unplugging it in. I didn't get the chance to try out its range, but I can play it around the house and go a good distance with it, so range isn't really an issue with me.

Also it's not insanely expensive - $155 at zZounds.com, and they'll do 4 payments of $38.75 a month. you can't beat that for a system of such quality. Get it, you won't be sorry!

Xvive U2 Digital Wireless Guitar System

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Bipslapper, Jhengsman and DWBass like this.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I'm interested in trying these out. I bought a Nux B2 system and while it worked nice it had a slight whine in the background. I tried all 4 channels and same thing. I sent it back. I need zero background noise. Does the XVive have any noise at all?

3. Absolutely dead quiet, as far as I could tell. There isn't even any kind of a pop when you turn it on and off. When I switch basses I turn off the transmitter, yank it out of one bass, plug it into the other bass, and turn it on. That's it. No noise.

4. I have heard these do not play nice with active guitars or basses and the low notes suffer abit but I haven't been able to try these in person to confirm or deny it. I personally use a line 6 g55 and g90 with no issues tho so no need to buy one of these atm.

5. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think that it is dependent upon the individual bass. When I fold the transmitter flat against my Conklin I can produce the whine. If I let it flap out no whining. I don't know if anything can be done to shield the transmission from the preamp but if I were to redesign it I would make the transmitter and the receiver different shapes so that you know which component you have by touching instead of relying on reading. I have played with blind guys before.

wouter12 likes this.
  6. I use mine with a Stingray 5 18 volt Pre. No noise or whine at home, I gig with it next week and see how good it is on stage with other devices.

7. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Mine is for practice only. I've had drop outs on gigs, as did another band member who wanted to use it for his acoustic. We have 4 or 5 other wireless devices at every gig plus lots of cellphones and venue wifi, so there's a lot more going on than when we're in the basement. I've not tried messing with different channels. Sounds good and quiet to me, but i'm not very picky.

8. wouter12

wouter12

Apr 13, 2009
    Colorado
    Agree, that was one of my first observations. Also on the active bass problem, I do have that whine and it is not great to say the least. The trick with putting something on the transmitter, like duck tape or metal tape does not seem to work for another bass player. My 'solution' was to take the battery out of the bass so that it is no longer active. I have a Sandberg and there is a button I can pull up that gives it a passive mode. When I do this there is no high pitch whine. Of course my bass is no longer active, but I sure do like the size and functionality of the Xvive.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018