Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yet more kudos to AH Bob G./happy newbie

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jason West, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Jason West

Jason West

Aug 25, 2004
    Kamas, Utah
    So....I've been playing music all my life but I'm relatively new to the DB thing. I stumbled across a cheap, beat up '41 Kay, did a BUNCH of internet research, found you guys, and WALLA!...another obsession is born....

I called up (AH) Bob G., got his suggesions of a few things and they were on my front porch in TWO days (to Utah, no less).

I've done a fair amount of lutherie so I did the set-up work myself. I stayed up 'til 2am last night fitting/shaping a new adj. bridge (major PIA) and making a cable tail gut. I did a fair amount of work on the nut and strung her up with Obligatos. I can't believe the difference! The bass bar is directly under the bass foot and the SP is 2" directly behing the treble foot, which from what I've read might be a bit too far back. I still might fine tune the bridge foot fitting the next time I change strings, but it's quite tight. All in all, I'm satisfied with the quality of my first set-up (it took 8 hours).

I've got an instructor I'm going to hook up with (head of Jazz BAss @ UofU).....man, I'm on my way...Sorry for the rambling post, but I'm really excited and into the DB thing. All I've listened to is Ron Carter and Ray Brown for the last week!

Jason

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Go, West young man.

Yer a braver man than I, I freak out if I have to push my bridge back a little when I change strings.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    With those paws of your it would be easy to break a peanut butter jar just by opening it if not careful, I'd think.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sigh, delicate they aren't...

Nice new signature, by the way. Couldn't help but notice.

5. Yeah, Bob's the best all points east of VOILA VOILA, VOIshington. ;)

Bob's helped me relieve my G.A.S. numerous times in an outstanding fashion, and he fully deserves whatever kudos (or Snickers or Mounds) he receives.

I'm with Ed...I get nervous just tightening my bow without a qualified luthier present.

6. The rattling of the tumbrils?

Congrats Jason!

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I had to look that up. Seems the phrase you're using would be referring to the French Revolution? I was more commenting on an ex-TB'er

8. Thought you might be commenting about vacuity somewhere - the rattling noise of the (empty) tumbrils (farm carts used for dung amongst other things) means someone's going to get their head chopped off - been a bit of it round here of late - I thought it very apposite both ways :D .