Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yey for New Bass Threads!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Sep 13, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    So, as none of you know, I got my Fender FSR Jazz bass last night. Ordered it from MusiciansFriend just about a week ago. I'm quite pleased with it. I've been playing an active 6er for almost 2 years now, and going to the passive 4 is just so... comfortable.

My only major issues are a high fret, and the mismatched wood on the upper horn, but I don't even notice when I strap on and play. I dialed in a lot of usable tones that I was missing on the 6er in maybe... 10 seconds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She sure is a beauty in person. The only mods I am planning immediately are a tort pickguard, a Graph Tech nut, Gotoh Quick Release bridge, as well as shielding/ grounding it.

2. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    all i have to say is
    YAY! for you!

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nice!

Weird about that mismatched grain though. :meh:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Surprised Fender QC let that through inspection. I'm 99% sure that Roger Sadowsky replaced a bass he let slip with mismatched grain. Or maybe it was a Lakland Skyline, but those people will make anything right. I'm confused by Fender's lack of QC in something so obvious.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Fender doesn't need quality control, they invented the electric bass, anything they do is right, whatever other companies do is a mistake.

Or something like that :)

6. Yes, very nice, too bad for unmatched grain...

7. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Looks good jake!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm glad you're happy about the bass, but I'll tell you, that grain...I don't know. I'm not big on worrying about cosmetic stuff, but I think that would even make me a little flipped out. But the high fret...that's pretty serious. That's something that you shouldn't have to deal with in a brand new bass. It's not necessarily a cheap fix, either, as it's hard to fix one high fret without having to deal with all the others. It can be done, but they may have to do a complete fret dressing on all the frets to fix it.

I know you really like the bass, but I think I would send it back and get another one. At the very least, I'd probably call MF and tell them about it and see if there's something they can do to rectify it. Maybe they can give you a partial refund or something. Not trying to bum you out, just wanting you to get full value for your money.

BTW, tort pickguard on natural ash really looks good.

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Looks very cool, but for the money you've shelled out, you should get a bass that is exactly what they are selling. I'd send it back and get one without those glaring issues.

Looks nice though!

10. two more days until my fender arrives *yay* - got a 2 month old Deluxe Active p-bass off ebay for £300 shipped last night - BARGAIN