Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yikes - Acoustic 370 on eBay!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmacleish, Dec 19, 2003.

1. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
  2. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Given the condition, I don't think the 3k range is totally unreasonable. There's probably some collector or nostalgic out there prepared to spend that kind of money. It'll be interesting to follow the bidding.

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Although that amp appears real nice, and complete, I agree that 3K is outrageous!

There is another one under the "pro audio" heading in NJ, poor pics, but 1 owner, for under $500

I believe these will increase in value and remain very collectable

I have my original 140/106 from '75:

4. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Obviously you American guys are spoiled ;)

I just bought a (mint condition) 220 head for $350, and I thought that was a steal...

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That is at least 3x what that is worth.

First of all, those sound "OK." Not great. Secondly, there are still quite a few of them around and I have never seen one go for more than $700-800.

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

That's the same rig I have. Bought it in 1975 as well. It is basically indestructible.I still
    have the original book in my kit as well. The vinyl cover lasted about 3 gigs.

I used to feedback the thing all the time,
    and yell ' FOXEY '. I have calmed down since
    then.

But I like it, it has served me well for 28 years.
    Three grand strikes me as a bit overpriced.
    This ain't a '57 Caddy Convertible in mint
    condition.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Actually that's a complete set in what appears to be near mint condition, with original paperwork. That's not an unreasonable price considering the blue book on that and comparable amps. The head alone is worth 800 bucks, and the speakers in good condition are quite rare these days. However I agree that one would have to be a serious collector to shell out that kind of money.

Man, these were THE amps in the late 70's, I had such GAS for one of these things but couldn't ever come anywhere near affording it. At one point I had a little money, and it came down to a choice between one of these and a B3 with a full-on Leslie (which I still own). :)

Acoustic 370's are great amps if you like that fat tube amp sound (or something resembling a tube amp anyway, the 370 preamp is one of the best in that regard). I'd have no problem gigging with one of these, they sound great and they're loud as hell!

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    :D :p :eek: :bassist:

too funny!

9. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Heh-heh.
    Rog.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well guys, it's in canadian funds, so it's not THAT bad...

11. thats not in canadian funds its clearly american it would come to about 4 grand canadian i think that is way over priced.

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am getting a head for $149. next week. It's in fair/good cond. I'll put some carpet on it and it will look excellent. BTW the cab is going for $119. I'm gonna pass cause I got too many now.

13. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's american?
    From the auction...

Looks like someone accidentaly posted in the US Ebay, not Ebay.ca.

Peace,
    Scott D.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, that sucker is showroom clean! I agree that the price is steep, but I'll be surprised if nobody bites.

I would be worried about the surround and spider on the speakers, even though it hasn't been played much. It would be a shame to pay that much and have to recone the speakers.

15. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I had a 370 back in the 70's. The low end could sterilize frogs at 300 yards!! I would love to pick it up if the price were, say 1000? Most of the ones I see around are pretty beat up.

16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ok, i'm pretty sure the exchange rate is about 1.65, right? if so, in US funds, that would make this amp $1818.18. That doesn't seem so unreasonable for a mint condition tube stack.

17. Acoustic bass amps were all solid state.

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oh, i thought this was a tube amp.

19. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Solid-state, baby. And loud. Good amp, no re-tubing gig. A tank. Good amp if you don't mind the lack of hi-fi anal-retentivity, just superlative vision-blurring mondo thumpiness. A howler! I could wish I still had mine. Sold it to someone who might just be a little smarter than yours truly. But not for 3k...

Rog.:p

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

It says: "US $2,999.00."

So, that would make this amp $2,999.00 in US funds.