Yikes...Glasses to contacts!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I wore contacts for many years. About a year ago I had some eye problems and was told to leave the contacts out for a few weeks. I ended up buying a pair of glasses which I liked, so I totally gave up on wearing contacts.

Last weekend I had an eye exam and decided to get back on contacts just to wear once in a while. Sometimes it's good to be able to not wear your glasses and still be able to see. I must say things have been very strange latley, almost like reality is distorted. I know it sounds goofy but it's true. When I put the contacts on everything seems huge and disfigured, but still clear. Yesterday I grabbed a bunch of nickels thinking they were quarters, a 20 oz bottle of coke looks like a 40 oz of booze, ect. Then when I put on my glasses, everything seems so tiny and I once again feel awkward.

I'm not really familiar with the changing, so is this only temporary?
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe you got the wrong prescription. I first got glasses 2.5 years ago, not that I needed them for vision, but for headaches (my prescription is very weak). I went to the eyedoctor again two months ago while I was still covered on my parents' insurance plan. Long story short, I ended up getting the wrong prescription for my glasses. Everything was a bit sharper, but only in certain directions. The new glasses also made my eyes feel like they were crossed all the time. I gave it a week before I returned them for the right prescription. You should probably do the same.
  3. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Don't worry about it. I got contacts about 4 months ago after having worn glasses since 3rd grade, and had the same problems. When I looked at the corner of where a ceiling meets two walls, the lines looked bent and bulgy-like. But eventually my eyes got used to it and my brain compensated. Now everything looks normal. I believe contacts look closer to having perfect vision and glasses actually distort vision, but after a while your brain realizes things aren't right and compensates for the distortion, so when you switch to contacts, your vision is all wonky for a while again.
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I wear glasses when I drive, so I figured I'd try out contacts to see what it would be like to have 20/20 vision at all times. It was kinda neat in that the world looked more 3D.

Unfortunately, being Asian made putting contacts in quite a challenge. I went back to glasses, rather than spending 10-20 minutes trying to getting the d@mn things on my eyes.