Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yikes...Glasses to contacts!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I wore contacts for many years. About a year ago I had some eye problems and was told to leave the contacts out for a few weeks. I ended up buying a pair of glasses which I liked, so I totally gave up on wearing contacts.

Last weekend I had an eye exam and decided to get back on contacts just to wear once in a while. Sometimes it's good to be able to not wear your glasses and still be able to see. I must say things have been very strange latley, almost like reality is distorted. I know it sounds goofy but it's true. When I put the contacts on everything seems huge and disfigured, but still clear. Yesterday I grabbed a bunch of nickels thinking they were quarters, a 20 oz bottle of coke looks like a 40 oz of booze, ect. Then when I put on my glasses, everything seems so tiny and I once again feel awkward.

I'm not really familiar with the changing, so is this only temporary?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe you got the wrong prescription. I first got glasses 2.5 years ago, not that I needed them for vision, but for headaches (my prescription is very weak). I went to the eyedoctor again two months ago while I was still covered on my parents' insurance plan. Long story short, I ended up getting the wrong prescription for my glasses. Everything was a bit sharper, but only in certain directions. The new glasses also made my eyes feel like they were crossed all the time. I gave it a week before I returned them for the right prescription. You should probably do the same.

3. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Don't worry about it. I got contacts about 4 months ago after having worn glasses since 3rd grade, and had the same problems. When I looked at the corner of where a ceiling meets two walls, the lines looked bent and bulgy-like. But eventually my eyes got used to it and my brain compensated. Now everything looks normal. I believe contacts look closer to having perfect vision and glasses actually distort vision, but after a while your brain realizes things aren't right and compensates for the distortion, so when you switch to contacts, your vision is all wonky for a while again.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I wear glasses when I drive, so I figured I'd try out contacts to see what it would be like to have 20/20 vision at all times. It was kinda neat in that the world looked more 3D.

Unfortunately, being Asian made putting contacts in quite a challenge. I went back to glasses, rather than spending 10-20 minutes trying to getting the d@mn things on my eyes.