Yikes.... Nordstrand's the MAN!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jun 15, 2002.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I just went to deliver some wood for my new custom single-cut fretless 4 to the luthier who's building it. It's some killer spalted chestnut. The bass is coming along nicely!:)
    He's working on an alder bodied/bubinga top/pink ivory board bass that's almost done, SEVERAL 4, 5 and 6 string singlecuts, and a semi-hollow lacewood topped/ash neck/pink ivory fretless...it's like being in wood euphoria!!! (Maybe it was the wenge dust...) He showed me a bass that he just finished...a solid padauk bodied 4 with a wenge neck and bubinga fingerboard...it's heavy (as padauk always is), but man....THE TONE!!! Woody, instant, complex, round....wow. It had the Suhr preamp in it....VERY flexible and powerful. Anyway, he offered to loan it to me to play with and check out! So now I'm playing this bass and digging every minute of it! I've never been a fan of dark woods, but this tonal recipe is very appealing!! This new singlecut will be my third Nordstrand, and definitely not my last! I have an Elrick on order as well, and his basses are made as well, and sound equally outrageous! When I get them both finished and to me, I'll post a review and comparison...I'm presently shopping for a new digital camera, so by the time these are done, there'll be pics a plenty!! They're both very different basses, but we'll do a side-by-side comparison to see how they stack up!!;)