Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yikes!!! The latest Hanewinckel 8-string ( warning: big pic embedded )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Jul 10, 2001.

1. My friend Pete Hanewinckel of Hanewinckel Guitars ( http://www.hanewinckelguitars.com/ ) just sent this over:

[​IMG]

Pretty sweet, eh?

I'll post a pic of my new Hanewinckel 7-string fretless when it's finished. Man! I love basses! :D

- Dave

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sweet!...Who makes thos 8 string bridges go?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Could you describe what each knob and switch does?

...do you still love the bass as much?;)

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh...and is Draken a special body, or will it become available to the public some time soon?

5. Here is Pete's description from a previous e-mail:

from the top going down:
    volume
    mag P/U blend
    mag/piezo blend

right side from the top:
    3 position mid freq switch
    bass
    mid
    treble

lower left from the top:
    MIDI patch up/dn switch
    synth vol
    synth/mix/bass switch

- Dave

6. It's a brand new body style. I think it's available now though. He is planning a major site update which will include the new body style and larger images.

- Dave

7. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Are there any retail outlets that sell those basses? I have decided that I need to play a bass before I buy it from now on, and I would love to play one of those.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    LA Bass Exchange http://www.bassexchange.com/ is the only dealer I know of. I checked out a very nice fretless six there a couple of years ago.

Since they are truly custom basses there is no one Hanewinckel feel, Pete offers more body styles than anyone I know of. If you can clearly communicate what "you" want, I'd be willing to bet Pete could build it.

I know, it can be a lot of money for a bass you've never laid hands on. You may have to make a trip to check one out, by either going to the Bass Exchange or any store that might have them or finding out from Pete if there are any owners in your area who will let you check them out (I did this for Mike Tobias in the old days. Most owners don't mind).

To me, the effort is worth it, if you seek a world class bass.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I believe John DiMaggio at Bass Alone in San Diego handles them. He had a 7 in stock a while back that I checked out when I bought my Roscoe SK3007. Very nice bass but the string spacing was insanely close on that particular bass, thus putting it out of the running for my use.

10. He offers different string spacings on his 7 and 8-strings; 5/8th or 11/16ths of an inch. I preferred the insanely close spacing. :D

- Dave

11. Don't know. That one has RMC saddles with piezo but the rest of the bridge may be by someone else. I'll ask ...

- Dave

12. To me, that body looks like a Warwick Fortress meets a BC Rich Warlock....

I'd still take it in 5 string though;)

13. I don't mean to sound nitpicky, but I think I'd prefer that the backplate would be ash to match the rest of the back. Even so, it looks quite nice.

14. Woah !

how the hell do you folw your fingers around a neck that wide ?
    what's the tuning on a bass like that ? F# B E A D G C F ?
    woah.. i'd love to hear ( or should i say FEEL ? ) that low F#..
    are there any amps / speakers that go as low as F# ???

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

that's what is says in the pic....

16. 1) Good technique. Ask JT for specifics.

2) F# B E A D G C F, or you could tune it like a guitar, B E A D G B E A.

17. that thing must weigh a lot... i mean.. a fat neck like that should have a lot of counter-weight to stay in balance..

18. Mine is quite similar in construction ( http://www.unpronounceable.com/dave/photos/photo_hanewinckel7.html ) and is surprisingly light. My Warwick 6-string Corvette was much heavier than my 7-string Hanewinckel.

As for balance, mine balances perfectly. I'm not sure about the 8-string but it's probably not too neck-heavy. Not like some of the Warwicks and Alembics I've played which can be extremely neck-heavy.

- Dave

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my 8 string fretless is 16 pounds, pretty evenly balanced...

[​IMG]

i tune mine F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E

that hanewinckel is very nice - are they going to be at the nashville namm show by any chance?

20. Nope. There may be an instrument at the Bartolini booth. I think he had one there a year or two ago. I didn't see one this year.

- Dave