Yin Yang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by herrera, Feb 8, 2003.

1. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i used the search option here in talkbass and i couldnt find any specs on the ying yang bass

i just wanted to know what is the string spacing on the neck for that bass...
    i mean i am thinking in this way...

if victor can do the things that he does with that
    string of spacing i should do it to...(i mean the slaps and pops...)

we have to be fair!

and i want to have a thumb 5

and does are 16.5

it is thiner the string spacing?
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yin (with no "g") Yang
  3. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    a ok thanks...
    and the info it seems that you know ALL about those basses
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey...be nice, now!:D

If you're dyin' to know, why not just contact Fodera? I'd bet they'd have some idea about those basses.;)
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Or, since he corrected your spelling, it might be a little easier to do a search to find out about the yin yang bass.

Just a thought...
  6. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    you are right...i have to be nice...

but as TB rules and everytime i ask something they give me an aswer in hours, i was hoping that this will be the same...i will send them a email and i will let you know

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, the standard spacing for the vast majority of 4-string basses is .75", or about 19mm. I've never played a Yin Yang, but the other Fodera 4's I've played (including the VW Sig model) seemed like they were about that spacing.

The Thumb 5 and 6 spacing always seemed uncomfortably narrow to me. So yeah, Vic's 4-string basses have wider spacing than your Thumb.

That said, there are plenty of people that can play killer stuff on Thumb and Streamer II 5's and Spector 5's and other basses with narrow spacing like yours.

8. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    I think Mike had the right answer. I'd almost bet that the Yin yang model has standard spacing and I know the regular(not wide spacing model which they do make) Thumb bass has pretty tight spacing. But in the end it's just whatever you're accustomed too. I think Bill Dickens has fairly tight spacing on his 7's and look at him go!!
  9. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

What about the broad neck model?? the string spacing is about 19mm on the 5 strings models.
  10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Since he's already got a broadneck Thumb 6 that he's selling, and still mentioned the 16.5mm spacing of the regular Thumb 5, presumably knows about the broadneck option but was not considering it.

11. Danny R.

Herrera, you want to trade your thumb 6 with broad neck for my Custom Corvette FNA Jazzman? it has the string spacing that you want, i also have a pedulla MVP 4 strings "peacock blue".
  12. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    well i am not really interested on the corvette jazzman but THANKS for ask! :cool:

i was thinking on buy this one from bassnw

i am more confortable buying a bass from a company that look at the bass and they tell you the condition

http://bassnw.com/Used Basses/warwick_thumb_bass_bubinga_5_st.htm

or thins one

http://bassnw.com/Used Basses/warwick_thumb_bass_bubinga_5_st_case_gigbag.htm

wich one do you recomend?

by the way if any of you have try this bases can you tell me which have a thinner neck?

i like the neck of my thumb but a lot of people said that each one is different of neck fatness and everything!

13. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Buy the first one that you posted. I've owned several Warwicks and older is better. Looks like the neck on the first one is wenge and the second one is ovankol. IMHO ovankol sucks! I hope I didn't offend too many people, but just buy the older one it's even cheaper.
  14. Danny R.

I'm with bethany, i like the ovangkol neck though.:D
  15. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i really dig the both! they look different in some way

but i am interested on the thinner neck...

if all warwicks have the nack that my 6 stirng does...

i will buy them all the problem is that on july (last year) i went to a guitar center and i try several warwicks and some of them have very chunky necks.. i have read here on the threads that some of them are like half of a baseball bats...and thats so true!

but when you find a fine one!

you cant! i repeat YOU CANT let them go!

but that is just me!

i am asking because here on the threads i have read about neweers thinner neck and older can be like chunky or really cool so everything deppends on the luck that you have!
  16. Danny R.

Well well well, i had about 7 warwick basses and they all had the baseball neck, That's why i like them:D i have big manly hands (hehe) and they fit my hands great, oh yeah, i once had a streamer stage I and it had a very thin, fast neck.
  17. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    well m y 6 string isnt a ibanez soundgear but...is really confortable neck...
    not to thin not to chunky

but there are some warwicks that ... really have big printer necks or something!
  18. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002

Yeah, I had a stage 1. It's one of the only basses I regret selling!
  19. Anybody knows what is the wood Wooten uses on is Yin Yang bass?
    From the Bass Day video it doesn't appear to be mahogany.