1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yin Yang: Tonal possibilities?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom7, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    So I was window shopping for 6 string basses on the Internet when my wife looked over my shoulder and saw and saw a picture of a black and white Yin Yang bass. She LOVES it, and wants to know why I don't get it!

I never play 4 stringers anymore, but then again, I never have had an enthusiastic green light to buy such a high end bass like this before ... so I broke out my Pedulla 4 and old Fender 4 string basses and started refamiliarizing myself with 4 strings again.

I had forgotten how FAST and FUN the necks of a 4 string bass are!

Here's the thing though -- and I know this is sacrilege to some -- but as much as I LOVE Victor Wooten's PLAYING, I've never been thrilled about his TONE, so I've never really looked at getting a Fodera.

To me, the tones on "A Show of Hands" are tinny sounding. Granted, his tone has improved over the years, but to me it still has a "splat" quality that is hard for me to describe.

This particular bass has a p/j configuration (EMGs). If I get a Yin Yang bass, what other tonal possibilities are within reach of that bass? I'm hoping for answers that come from a practical, hands on, perspective and not just a theoretical perspective (after all, *I* can do that!).

Cheers,

Tom

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I greatly prefer the Aero and especially the Duncan dual coils (the standard pickups) in most Fodera models. IMO, if you aren't thrilled with Victor's tone.... don't get a model based on Victor's tone preference! My experience with the EMG loaded Fodera's is that they have a very specific sound, and are not nearly as versatile as the 'dual coil' models... where you get a nice, full classic Fodera humbucker sound, and can then tap the coils to get a reasonable approximation of a Jazz Bass.

There is a wonderful looking four string 'Victor Wooten' classic bass with Duncan Dual coils on the Austin Bass Trader site in the used section... that type of bass might be more to your liking if again the EMG thing doesn't totally float your boat.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    +1 to Kjung

Fodera will build you whatever you want in the bass. If you find one used you want, but just change the pickups out. Bartolini has a direct fit and Duncan might as well for the EMG soapbars. But the EMG's are brighter and more eq-ie. I have an Older Monarch that I had Kent Armstrong build a custom PJ set to replace the EMG's in it, but haven't swapped them yet.

If you like the bass and especially if you like the feel and unplug tone, then just find the pickups that work for you. I've had a LOT of Fodera's over the years and I like the Bartolini and Duncans the best so far, not a fan of Aero. The EMG's are cool, but you have to be looking for the EMG sound.

4. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I've purchased from Austin Bass Traders before and love working with Glenn, thanks! But while I do prefer this bass on Austin Bass Traders, unfortunately it isn't Yin Yang.

You guys are going to laugh at this, but the reason I was green lighted for the black and white Yin Yang is because it is black and white. Our two sons play WHITE strats, and our daughter is learning on my BLACK Al DiMeola Ovation acoustic ... and my wife loves the idea of us all matching (and frankly I think it would be cool too).

Yeah, I know. What can I say? I'm a bit of a sap. :p

Anyway, I'll take a closer look at that Fodera Monarch 4 string Victor Wooten Classic on Austin Bass Traders. This whole thing has made me pause and ask myself questions, you know?

Cheers!

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    yea, you really shouldn't have told us that... :D just kidding.

If you want to go 5 or more, I know there are 5 string's floating around. check with Jim at Atlanta bass Gallery, grooveshoppe or Basscentral.......

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey... the look of the bass is just as important as anything else. Maybe, as Brian suggested, you can talk to Vinnie and the boys and see if they can either retrofit some different pickups on that bass. Otherwise, if you have the cash and the time to wait (they are on about an 18 month deliver schedule now for custom orders), they can build you a ying yang with any pickups that you want!

Good luck... let us know if you take the plunge!

K

7. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i think that bass central has a five string ying yang in at the moment which looks damn nice.

8. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Good advice, thanks, Brian. BTW, I just checked out the Lowend website again; I love your wood theory page!

Cheers,
    Tom

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well, if you get it, you might have to take out another mortgage on the house.

;)

-Mark

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Of coarse, you know the only choice you have is to order a 6 string Fodera with the Ying Yang motif....

11. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I've decided that the ENLIGHTENED thing for me to do is to quit thinking about purchasing basses ... and think about purchasing GROUPS of basses instead! :D

On any given day, the basses I have on hand represent how my tastes and desires are counterbalanced by what I can afford. Since I don't unlimited resources to acquire either basses or vehicles, maybe it is about time I step back and think out what makes sense to have on hand ... making sure I don't just have what I want, but what makes sense in context of my other gear decisions.

Now comes the hard part: figuring out what that collection of basses should be! :eyebrow:

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I'm glad we can all agree on that!

13. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I took the plunge. I bought the Yin Yang with EMGs today and it should ship out tomorrow FedEx 2nd day air.

It's funny how I took forever to decide to get it, and now that I've decided, I want it yesterday!

One thing that really helped me decide is the fact that Vic still plays his 1983 Fodera with EMGs. I studied the videos and recordings I have of him, and that bass has sounded different as time goes by. Because the bass is the same, and his sound has changed, it would seem that the changes in Victor's rig, his strings, and his recording engineers are responsible. And because his tone is better (to my ears), it means that what I didn't like about the tone wasn't the "fault" of his bass.

And because the Fodera I bought has a maple neck, I figure this will address the complaint I had earlier about how I like Victor's fingerstyle tone, but not his string popping because it seemed almost more percussion than tone. At any rate, my maple neck will have a quicker attack than Vic's rosewood neck, and that will make a difference on that.

Anyway, I decided this bass will sound great, and sound quite different from my great sounding F Bass, which will give me a nice variety of options to draw from.

Thanks SO much for the help guys!

Cheers,
    Tom

14. Wow! Very Cool!

I have a Monarch 4 Deluxe almost as vic but with Kingwood fingerboard and that bass is great!

-Christian

15. Congratulations on your purchase now all I have to say is pictures, we need pictures like ....yesterday, even though you havent got it yet we still want pictures. ;)

Did you know the Talkbass rule that without pictures the bass doesn't exist.

Oh and of course a full review so that we can all share in your moment of glory.

Regards

Matthew

16. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    With Fodera workmanship, a P pup in the middle and a J pup up the back - can you go wrong??
    Maybe those light strings VW uses count for a little? I have them on my Monarch and they're pretty light!
    When do we get some first impressions on the YinYang?

17. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Congratulations, sweet!!!
    This is soooo true, lol :)

18. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks for the support, guys! I'll post photos and impressions when the bass gets here.

I think it is cool that, when I posted that I bought the bass, the first comments I got were from Denmark, England, Australia and Norway. I'm half expecting a comment by someone from Europa (one of Jupiter's moons) next!

Being from Alaska, I used to feel really alone when it came to making gear decisions. The only people I could talk to were salespeople -- who have a financial interest in getting me to believe and do certain things.

After all, Eagle River, Alaska isn't exactly NYC or L.A. Or even Ipswitch or Sola for that matter!

Now, thanks to talkbass.com, I can have people from all over the world make fun of me for my bad decisions! And cheer for my better ones!

I'm really excited about this bass; the only music in my head since I bought it has been Flecktones or Victor.