Yin Yang top?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Dec 17, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    following the Fodera discussion, and my grim realization that I may not be able to afford a $6000.00 bass *anytime* soon, I'm wondering if any of the luthiers here (you can move this to luthier's corner if necessary) would make me a yin-yang top for the Spector i'm buying. -- or even just the dark part, to go over the natural finish already there.

I did a bad mockup but I only have MS Paint and Photo Editor to work with here... It'd be a 4-string version of this:

I'm not trying to cheapen the fodera experience or anything, I just love the design covering the whole bass (heh, otherwise, i'd buy a sticker and be done with it). I'd buy a real one if I had the cash, no doubt.

And yes, I realize I tend to spend lots of money making cheap basses more pleasing to me =0)
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You want the eye holes and all? I got mine made without the eye holes because I liked the design but didn't want it to BE a "yin yang" bass. I think it will look cool when done. Whether or not I'm keeping it is another matter. ;)

And I don't you think you would be "cheapening" anything.

3. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    yeah, I do want the eye holes in the design - well, at least the light spot in the dark half, i think the bridge may cover the other but would work that out for sure with whomever did the work.

awesome lookin' bass man, wish I were right there with ya =0)
  4. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I think that guy uses better spray paint than you jammaD:D ...
  5. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Does that neck in the background look familiar?
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ha! good eye!

that's awesome
  7. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Actually Jammadave,
    Putting a top on a bass that is already done is a whole heck of a lot of work. I doubt you'd find anyone to do it for what you'd consider to be a reasonable price. Especially with those curved Spector bodies. It'd be cheaper to have it custom painted.
  8. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    thanks carey - would it be possible to have it done in a stain or translucent paint, such that I can retain the satin feel of the finish? (natural oil to begin with) - i'd be willing to do that for the right money, no problem.
  9. yin-yang is VERY early 90's, dude.
  10. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    how about doing it to a stage II streamer... you will even have matching neck inlays ;)
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Sure - early 790s BC! :D :p
  12. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    yeah, I was going to say, something as ancient as a Taoist symbol has got to be older than early 90s =0)

I think it's a tasteful look, though, much better than 80s graphic finishes by far. Thanks for the input - I have an email in to Pat Wilkins to see if they can do it with paint.
  13. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    That's who I was going to suggest. Pat does great work.
  14. Good eye Carey.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

natures fingerboard binding :D
  16. That's exactly what I thought when I saw the pic.

Your "almost" Ying yang Monarch will look cool!
    I love it. I know there was a thread about that bass, what did you decide about the inlays on the neck?

Sorry Jammadave for hijackin' your thread...:)
    A translucent paint could be gorgeous on the Spector
  17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Went with a clean neck. The bass will look as you see it there, but with a finish, pickups, black hardware and of course the preamp stuff. I've been told it's in finish right now.

I hope it looks cool too. :p