1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Y'know what I mean?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Feb 5, 2016.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Anyone else know somebody who finishes every sentence with "Y'know?" our "Know what I mean?"

I know a guy who does and it's exhausting talking with him because he won't move on with whatever he's trying to tell you until you say "yup." So the whole conversation sounds like this:

Blah blah blah "Y'know?"
    "Yep."
    Blah blah blah "Know what I mean?"
    Pause... "Yep."
    Blah blah blah "Y'know?"
    Longer pause... "Yep."
    Blah blah blah "Know what I mean?"
    Even longer pause... sigh... "Yep."

It's like a sitcom. I keep wanting to tell him "Yeah, dude. I got it. You don't have to keep asking me. Now pick it up already. I don't have all friggin' day." But I can't because I get the feeling he's lonely and doesn't have anyone to talk to.

2. I have a friend like that. I say ''yeah, long story short?'' and he gets on to the punchline.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  3. Off-Beat

Off-Beat

Dec 8, 2014
    Vienna, AUT
    Answer No for a change. Check if he even cares what you say or just wants to check if you show attention by simply responding. My father does this when he's heated up and when I say no or even some chibberish he will just go on. If I don't say anything at all he stops.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I need to get one of these:

6. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

True story, my younger brother and I were at my uncles house, he was one of the coolest Uncles on the face of the planet, but he was a habitual "You know it?" guy. Well, we had done something kinda naughty, got caught, and were getting read the riot act. My Uncle was also long winded, so eventually the "You know it's" piled up. Soon, like a damn breaking, my brother and I got the giggles. My Uncle came from a family that if you said the up bringing was strict you might just fall a bit south of what it meant to them. He got beet red and asked what was so damn funny. My younger brother with tears in his eyes said "Uncle Wayne we can't help it, you wont stop talking." His face cracked and he laughed pretty hard. I'm not sure if he knew it was the onslaught of "You know it's".

7. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Absolutely yes!

My counter statement is usually "if you say so".. Drives them crazy after I say it two or three times. :thumbsup:

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a pet theory about modern communication. I think we've lost a great deal of our capacity to say what we actually mean. Direct and clear verbal communication is in a state of decay. What we do instead is blunder about hinting at what we mean, or alluding to what we hope are shared points of reference (like quotes from TV shows or movies that we may or may not even remember came from those original sources). Then we invite the listener to signal that they picked up on the hint or reference so that we can be reassured that communication actually happened. That, unconsciously, is why we constantly say "Y'know" and also why we resort to overusing "like" so much (as in, "So when he said that, I was just, like - 'Huh. WhatEVer.' [sigh...]").

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I do indeed know what you mean.

10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I'm driven nuts when someone mouths the words I am saying silently to themselves while I'm saying them, and they usually repeat the last word or two out loud. ever met people who do that?

twinjet and 96tbird like this.
  11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well I'm glad somebody does, because I sure don't. Y'know?

:confused:

12. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    All kidding aside, that's a form of autism called Echolalia. I grew up with a kid who had it.

Gazman likes this.
  13. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    ...who had it

14. Funky Ghost

Actually it isn't a form of autism it a speech mode. My son has it. He also happens to have autism. It's main function is that a person who uses it knows they are supposed to respond. It is a social function, after all. However, they only want you to go away and let them remain in their space doing as they do. The echoing of what you said exactly is the only response they wish to invest at that time. Catch them another time and you are more than likely going to get a response other than that if they so choose. Communication takes 5 separate portions of the brain working in unison. Folks with autism are believed to have significant "static" which greatly inhibits this process. It's fascinating if not also frustrating and heart breaking.

Gazman, GregC, rufus.K and 1 other person like this.
  15. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015

16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Welp, now I know.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  17. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I always thought that was J Giles Band.

El Güero likes this.
  18. Funky Ghost

It's been a passion of mine for a fairly long while now. My son is 30 this year. It's been a long road.

GKon likes this.
  19. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    Me too. When I looked it up on youtube I searched Geils + know + mean, and Geils didn't come up anywhere I could see.

20. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    This was the first thing I thought of. I was going to post it if nobody else had mentioned it.

Ernets-P-Worrell-630x482.
    KnowwhatImean?