Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ymaha BB404 VS. Ibanez SR300DX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejsagun, May 6, 2003.

wadya think?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 12:28 AM.
  1. yamaha BB404

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Ibanez SR300dx

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. just get something else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ejsagun

ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    hey guys,

im a long time lurker and first time poster.

ive been thinking of buying my second bass and i narrowed it down to these 2.

it would be a big step from my 1st bass

which one is better in tewrms of build quality and just give me some general impresions.

by the way my budget is around 300-400 bucks tops (US)

2. I'd go for the Yamaha, I like the BB404, and I reckon my RBX370 is brilliant value for money and has great playability. My mate has the same model Ibanez, and it's ok, but it doesn't feel as good as my Yamaha. Also, I guess for around $300-400 you could get a MIM Fender from the States.

3. Just this Saturday I played not the Yamaha BB404, but, the BB405. It's a very nice bass for the money - $349 at Sam Ash. I bought a Yamaha 5 string two years ago this June and am still in love with it. The low end Yamahas are equal to or better than MIM Fenders, IMHO.

I didn't play the Ibanez SR300DX you're looking at http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SR300DX

But, I did play this one http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX400

What a dynamite bass for $400! It's got a very solid feel to it, and has a very good tone. There's a thumbrest built into the pickup, and it's very loud. I just happen to like basses with one pickup. If I were going to buy a passive 4 string, this would be it!

If you don't have a chance to check out both yourself, I'd reccomend the Yamaha; it's just hard to go wrong with them. Try to check out as many basses as you can.

Good luck.

Mike

4. goat

goat

Jan 18, 2003
    Bournemouth, England
    If you can go for the BB604 - it's only a little more expensive than the 404 but it has an active EQ and you can can some beautiful sounds out of it. It also comes with gold hardware which is nice. I have one in natural satin with gold hardware and it's wicked :D

Altho if you can't I've tried a 404 too and it's still an excellent bass for the money and the guy that said they're up with MIM Fenders is correct IMO.

5. i dont want to invade your thread but i too am interested in these 2 basses as well so i thought i might bump it up to see if you get anymore replys

I know yamaha is a good brand the school i go to has 2 basic model RBX's they have precision pickups but they are great basses (except for the warped necks :p)

so anyways hope you get some more replys

spike

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yamaha's are an excellent value for the money. That is my recommendation. I would also recommend an MIM Fender as an alternative.

However, my suggestion is to play both and buy what feels and sounds good to you.

Dan:bassist:

7. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I have the bb404 and think it is a really nice super kick ass bass (for me). I'd suggest get what ever one feels better. I'm a big dude and I like that the Yamaha felt much more substantial in my hands. I also felt the neck was easier to play with my big stubby paws. The ibanez to me was lighter (almost wimpy) and had a thinner (too thin) neck - which may be good for you. I've dropped the yamaha and no problems - it stays in tune very well the electronics are straight forward - simple no problems. All in all the yamaha bb404 is very nice bass especially considering it's cost.

good luck

oh yeah if you like the blue I think you can get that color for 200 bucks from samash!! I like the black though IMHO.