Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yngwie Malmsteen - War to End all Wars

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Acacia, Nov 30, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was excited that my favorite guitarist was putting out another CD. Then I bought it. Ugh. His last one, Alchemy, was so dang good, then he puts out this trash. The production is muddy like Facing the Animal and his tone is horrid. The singer is low in the mix and the drummer is sloppy. The whole thing just sounds rushed to me. Then he cans the singer, again, and hires a Coverdale clone.

I know it seems that more people hate him than like him, but I have been a fan since about 1995.

Here's hoping that he does a totally acoustic CD in the near future.

2. acoustic that would cool
    i always liked riseing force, i got tribute which is ok, i like the originals to much i guess

3. Uhhh, I can't stand that guy, or his music. I think he is really talented, but his music, IMO, is terrible. He also says things that I think are really stupid, sometimes arrogant.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i got rising force about 12 years ago - great album - i listen to it all the way through probably a few times every month. he needs to stick to instrumentals, though. his lyrics more often then not suck might a$$.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Malmsteen is probably MY least favorite "musician"...period!
    I recall an interview of his when he said(basically) "...I(Malmsteen)play the bass on my records 'cause the ONLY guy who could play a bass better than me(Malmsteen)is Jeff Berlin". Further, he said "...the bass should ALWAYS be played with a pick". And, his comments during a blindfold test were, IMO, classic; he dissed every player(Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, etc)...one comment was how these players were not bending their notes to pitch. Huh? Like a Blues player is concerned about THAT! Anybody that gets so caught up about the "correctness" of a bend is missing the point entirely(IMHO).
    Sorry, Sean.

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey Jim, don't apologize. As much as I love his guitar playing and always have, I have always hated his attitude. He's a jerk.