Yo, been a while - Fender 'P' basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noely71, Jan 6, 2005.

1. This is just for information,

Let me know what you all think...

Was in Melbourne (Aust.) last week, was shoppin for great gear, i asked for a warwick thumb bass, and played through a Eden 550 head, and a SWR henry the 8X8 i thought it sounded great, i'd call my self an ameture when it comes to tone, but i thought it sounded great! i then picked up a fender precision deluxe, into the same rig, (i never thought they were that great, little did i know, i grew up listening to them on most recordings!) and it blew any bass i've ever played out of the water! It was the richest, fullest sound i've heard from a bass. i'm gonna buy one! Anyway for all who are tryin to find a bass, try out a fender p-bass...

Keep groovin'
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My buddy plays a beautiful P-bass. I gotta give it a whirl or two :)
  3. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    You young-uns take note. Precisions are IT. Come back to the womb.

(jazzes aren' to bad either ;) )
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I started on a '62 Precision about 28 years ago.

I sold it, and tried just about every bass since then.

Only recently, when some problems with my wrist forced me to look at some shorter scale basses (shorter than the Cirrus I had), had I looked at Fenders again.

Wow, I had forgotten how good a P-Bass sounded! After trying about 13 different MIA's and MIM's, I found a beautiful MIM Precision that was just way better than the rest.

I am so glad to be back to a P-Bass. I just wonder why it took me so long.

Back to the womb indeed!!! :hyper:
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've always loved P-basses. Been searching for years for the best 5-string P-bass (for me)... found it, and hopefully I'll have it within the month. It's not a Fender so I won't mention the brand, but it happens to be the most Fender-like of all the 5-string P-style basses out there!
  6. Aw' c'mon Fuzzbass - tell us what it is or send me a pm and tell me anyway! Inquiring bass minds want to know and it isn't going to change my love of Fenders one iota... :D
  7. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Let's make a game of it. I guess Mike Lull.
  8. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I too, came back to the womb in the late 80's ... never to stray again. My first professional bass was a sunburst '73 Precision that I bought new. I dabbled in Music Man StingRays when they first came out and then went on my pre-CBS rampage in the latter half of the 70's and early 80's while I was playing full time. I had some really good "pieces" ... a '57 P, '58 P, '60 P, '60 stack knobs J, '63 J and a '65 J each of which was aquired for between $250 and $550 (yes, these were the heady days when men were men and sheep were nervous and you could actually aquire a vintage Fender for a good price if you looked hard enough). Once I started playing highly collectible basses on stage, musicians started coming up to me regularly and telling me about old basses they or a friend had and I was getting good leads all the time. I later went through a "high tech" period in the 80's where I owned an Alembic Series I, a pre-Kramer Spector NS-2 and an early Steinberger L2-A. The turning point came when I took my Spector NS-2 (which was a fine, fine ... superfine bass) to a rehearsal with my blues - soul - R&B band along with a Fender USA '57 reissue P. The P absolutely blew the Spector away once it was mixed in with the band and I had an epiphany that night ... no more straying away from Fender ... there's nothing better (if you can find a good one). I currently have a small gaggle of FrankenPs and Js or slightly tricked out stock Fenders. Some of the retro minded blues guys I play with ask me if I miss my vintage Ps and Js ... yeah, from a bragging rights and retro cool standpoint. However, I sold them at a substantial profit to finance going back to school to get a computer science degree and have been making an excellent living for the last 20 years as a result. In addition, some of my current stable of basses are functionally supreme. I have an alder '98 American Standard Precision with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity I pickup and a brazilian rosewood Warmoth neck with a thick slab rosewood fingerboard that simply kicks ass. I also have a FrankenJ with an 80's alder Japanese Squire body, a recent American Series rosewood board P neck and a set of custom Lindy Fralin pickups from a Mike Lull Vintage J that is the best J I've ever had. But I digress ... get a good Fender P & J and the bass world will be your oyster!
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent guess, but not quite! I had the Lull P5 and it was amazing, but there were a few details that weren't vintage enough for me. The main ones: 35" scale length, and string spacing at the bridge of 17mm instead of the Fender-standard 19mm (3/4"). So, I've ordered the Sadowsky P5.

Remember: I'm talking about FIVE string P-basses... I dig the Fender fours a lot, especially the Vintage RI models!

P.S. I was trying NOT to hijack the thread... I thought I'd yammered on about my Sadowsky P5 order enough already. :p
  10. :rolleyes:
    i too want another p bass, but my 75 fender p is long gone, sob. is a person better off finding a fender p that's a good player or going for the lull, sadowsky, or devon "p" bass?????
  11. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I recently got me an American Fender p and its amazing. 1980 presicion special. Got it for nearly nothing was blown away by the tone and wonderful action. I was so in love with the bass it wasnt until I took it home did I realize it had a switch to go inbetween active and passive mode. I wish more basses were like that.
  12. I talked to my mother in PA yesterday. I asked her to give my parts p-bass (my very first bass by the way, complete with original strings) to her neighbor who's a bit of a luthier and a muso, to have it set up, cleaned and checked out. After which, she is getting a hard case and packing it away to ME!

YES...I haven't touched that bass in about 5 years. I LOVE IT. I can't wait to see her again. My old friend.

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I've never been very impressed with P-basses, they always seemed primitive. That is until recently. I'll probably just go with a MIA Fender when I find the right one. I was going to get a VariaxBass, but then I realized that I have most of the basses that they modeled with the exception of a P-bass.