Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jan 6, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I finally saw Collateral. I wanted to see it in the theaters and just didn't get to but I rented it this week.

Awesome movie! I love Mann's stuff. Cruise was a total evil badass. Apparently he trained for months at Gunsite, a well-known tactical firearms training center. Just about everything you see Cruise do in the gunfights and shooting in the movie is pure textbook. Mann is a stickler for detail and background. I've heard that he had a biography and backstory written out for every character and he had Jada Smith live with an older couple for a month who he imagined might be like her character's parents. I think that's his biggest strength - bringing out the best in the actors he works with (example - Christopher Plummer's incredible portrayal of Mike Wallace in The Insider). Considering the kind of movie that this is and the amount of time it takes place in he really developed some pretty rich characters as well.

Anyway...just a freakin' cool movie. I need to buy this one.

Anyone else enjoy this?

brad cook

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    we were going to rent it last the other night.....

speaking of Gunsite, i have a few of their videos

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I loved everything but the ending.

Warning Spoiler

I'm not a gun-freak, but common sense tells me that a hitman will in a gun fight against a cabbie

thats all.

4. I saw this movie a week or so ago and i have to agree...excellent movie...and im not much of a Cruise fan.

Two thumbs up.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Oh what? Brad - i thought you'd have better taste in movies that that!

This was one of the worst written, least attention-keeping movies that ive seen in ages. Wait wait wait! Here comes the obvious twist!

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Totally awesome movie. Michael Mann is an amazing director. If you're not that familiar with him...and liked Collateral...check out a little movie called "Heat" with a few somewhat known characters in it.. ;)

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well that's why movies are subjective eh?

I typically don't judge whether a movie was good or not based solely on whether the twist was obvious. I thought it had good dialogue, good characters, good acting and really great camera work. Why was it poorly written? I just like Mann's style in general. Many of his movies are slower paced and heavily dialogue driven (The Insider, Ali, Heat). A movie doesn't have to have constant explosions, car chases or an out-of-left-field twist to keep my attention.

brad cook

8. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I really respected the decision to shoot parts of it in digital. Adds a new feel to the film.

9. Great movie . The thing i liked the most about it is probaly the camera and the acting ( especially Jamie Foxx ) .
    Isn't he nominated for the oscars ?

Here's the ''Yo, Homie , isn't that my briefcase'' scene :D

http://www.z5films.com/videos/collateral.mpeg

10. Great Movie indeed! I saw it the same day I saw AVP (which sucked)but Collateral totally made my day.

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That scene is amazing...looks easy...looks are very deceiving.

I think there was some top-notch acting in Collateral. I don't have much for Jamie Foxx outside of acting...but on Collateral and Ray he was simply stellar.

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I love Heat. I didn't know it was the same director, now I have to see Collateral.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I wanted to see it in the theater, so with your review I'll ust go buy it. Thanks!

14. I loved this movie, it changed Tom Cruise in my eyes. Ive always seen him as kinda the same character, they way he acts i guess, not that its bad, but its just Tom Cruise. Seeing him as a evil badass for once changed my perspective on him. I ll be referring to him as Vincent for now on.

15. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I too enjoyed this movie. I didn't think it was going to be that good so I didn' t see it in the theatre. I watched it last weekend and I thought it was amazing!

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Bought and watched today, excellent movie!

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My wife and I saw it in the theater when it came out. Not a "buy it and watch it repeatedly"-type movie for me, but it was great. Cruise was wonderful.

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Anybody know the tune playing when Max has Annie riding in the cab and she asks him to turn it up? Artist/Song Title?

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think I did recognize it but now I can't even remember.

brad cook

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    collateral <i>damage</i>, now that's a movie.

:bag: