Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yo! Please Read!!! Housecleaning 2.0

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gmstudio99, Aug 25, 2000.

1. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hello all. This is a slight revision and update on the "Basses Forum Housecleaning" thread from a few months ago. We've settled into the new pad here quite comfortably, (MegaAngus, keep your feet of the coffee table please...and Bisk! Don't feed that to the dog!) and I thought it might be a good time to revisit this and update it for the new forum.

First, this is the biggest change: I can't close AND move a thread like in the old days. I used to be able to post and tell you where I moved your thread and then lock the thread. Not anymore. Now I can either lock it OR move it. I've opted for moving. So if you started a thread here and don't find it in the morning, look around the other forums for it. (Use the "Search" feature! :))

-YOU HAVE THE POWER! You can delete your own posts if you accidentally double post. Many times one of us will double post and then add another "Oops" or "Sorry about the double post" post, creating another useless post. Simply click on the "edit post" icon (the one with the little pencil) and select "Delete This Post". Poof! It's gone! Thankyouveramuch.

UPDATE: This seems to have gotten a bit better and I appreciate that. I've found much fewer doubles and it makes the job so much easier. Thank you! :)

-Let's not jump on the new guys too much. I do this too, but many times new posters will come in and innocently ask about something that has recently been debated to death here. Merely refer them to the search function or, better yet, give them the link to the appropriate thread.

UPDATE: This seems to have improved a ton. Strangely, we've had more and more duplicate topics, yet the civility is significantly better. Nice! :)

-Along those lines, new guys: do a search before posting. Most of the basses and models you're asking about have been discussed here already. There's more than one page to this forum, go through all 9 before you post your topic.

UPDATE: I think in the last month I've seen about 7 or 8 threads starting with "After doing a search, I've..." and that's so nice to read...thank you, all, for using that feature.

-DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS. ENOUGH SAID!

UPDATE: Can't think of a single offense here in "Basses".

-This might be a touchy one, but asking a bunch of guys/girls on the internet which bass is right for YOU is an extreme exercise in futility. I certainly understand asking for recommendations of decent models, etc, but instruments are very personal items, and no one will be able to say for certain which instrument is the best for you. Only you can answer that one. We'll help guide, but you'll have to decide.

UPDATE: The "Idiot's Guide To Buying A Bass" thread is wonderful...bravo!

-"___________ Sucks!" We all have our own prejudices regarding good and "bad" instruments for whatever reason. But the posts that merely say "Fender/Ibanez/whatever sucks! They're evil" don't really help anyone, and only reflect immaturity on the part of the poster and the site as a whole (to newcomers, especially). If you had a negative experience with a particular model, please give specifics.

UPDATE: Also seems to be better...more useful information and less "emotion" has been evident. Yeah, all of our feathers get ruffled when we read about something we love getting trashed by another. NEW GUYS/GIRLS: Don't trash Modulus in front of MegaAngus, and don't trash Conklin in front of John Turner. :D

-Don't skim posts before responding, don't assume you know what is being asked without reading the actual post and ALL RESPONSES! (Otherwise known as the "gmstudio is a jackass" rule )

UPDATE: I am getting much better at this. Just one gaff in the last 30 days, but it was in "off topic" so it was forgivable, I think...:)

-Keep an open mind. I've been proud of the fact that there hasn't been any sort of flame wars here in "Basses" for quite a while, and let's keep it that way. People are all different and all have their own biases and prejudices when it comes to, well, everything. Remember the golden rule.

UPDATE: Use :);):D when making jokes.

-Use the profiles feature. See who you're dealing with before responding. Likewise, keep your profiles updated and full of helpful information.

UPDATE: I see a lot of response posts that indicate that people are using this, very cool! Everyone check and make sure your profile is up to date and descriptive enough.

-(Can't believe I almost forgot this one!) Please post to the appropriate forum. This forum, while having a rather generic name, is quite specific: discussion about basses in regards to makes, models, specifications, and all other aspects of the physical instrument. There are other categories for pickups, technique, players, which may be more appropriate for your question. Try to avoid multi topic threads, if possible. Split them between the appropriate forums. When in doubt, post it in "Miscellaneous" and let Big Wheel deal with it! (;))

UPDATE: Sort of in conjuction with the first thing I talked about up there...there's a lot of threads in here that should probably be in "Setup" or "Misc", but aren't because we're still getting used to the new "move a topic" system. I'll start pruning more and more as we adjust. Let me know if there's someway to make this easier for you.

-Use clear, descriptive thread titles. Titles such as "basses" or "HELP ME!" or "Read This" aren't helpful at all, and only go on to annoy those with slower internet connections who open such threads (if they open them at all). Try to be clear: "Fender MIM Jazz Bridge Problem" is much clearer than even "Fender Jazz".

UPDATE: This hardly seems to be an issue anymore. Cool!

Whelp, there you go...thanks to all you folks for making this place what it is. I think the last month or so the overall tone of "Talkbass.com" has improved quite a bit and has become a wonderful place for us to waste, er, spend our time. ;)

I'd particularly like to thank Big Wheel for looking over my shoulder here...I'm here all day during the day, but BW does a nice "night watchman" type of job while I'm off having a life.

One last thing...there's been some identity confusion around here. I am "gmstudio99"...my name is Paul...I, however, am in no way related to Paul our esteemed Administrator...I'm just an evil lackey.

Ok...we now return you to your usual mayhem.

-GM

2. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Could you please post a link to this thread. I searched under "idiot's guide" (subject) and couldn't find it. Ironic, uh?

3. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Hmmm....since I'm not a "NEW GUY".......

MODULII AND CONKLINS SUCK :D

....just kidding folks (they don't really suck....too bad ;) )

(well, maybe those ACME John Turner SUPER GENIUS Signature Series Double-Neck Boat Anchors still suck :D :D :D)

GM/Paul (aka "evil lackey")-

You (and all the other moderators) are doing a great job, thanks for your efforts, and for putting up with our "usual mayhem". Color me proud to be a TB member....wait, that didn't sound quite right..... ;)

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Paul I think you and the other people who run TB are doing a great job! I came here a few months ago and I feel very welcome and comfortable posting here. I have also met some really cool people and I really dig the new format. OK enough A*# kissing ;) keep up the good work.......Later

6. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    GM, great idea (as always). I'm going to post it over in Amps as well (provided that you have no objections...).

7. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yo...Just a BTTT with reminder:

Please post your threads in the appropriate forum.

Thank you...there will be a quiz in a few days...

:D:D:D

-GM

8. ChrissySistrum

ChrissySistrum

Sep 11, 2000
    Thanks GM....being a new girl....that helped.

A couple questions:

1) Can I use the smilies even if I'm not telling a joke? :) .....sorry stupid question....

2) Is it just my 233mhz Imac or does it take a long time for things to load? For instance...I open a thread and hit post reply.....I wait and wait....my computer is going to town....making tons of noice...then finally...I can post.

:)

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Not another Quiz ahhh :D nice list/rule thingamajig [so descriptive aren't i? :) ] GM that's all

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ok so umm.. anyone cleanign their house.. and find some basses theydont want/need?? if so feel free to ask me if i do!!!

=0D

11. What kind of noise? Hard drive noise? That's a bad sign.Could be an impending crash. I suggest you back up your important files and get a technician to look at your computer. Better again...trash the Mac and get a PC. But that's just my opinion :)

12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Modulus....hmmm...is that some kind of bass?

YOWWWW!!!..:D

13. ChrissySistrum

ChrissySistrum

Sep 11, 2000
    KingsKid....I haven't noticed this problem on other web pages or message boards.....but I am going to be getting a PC anyway....so I can get ALL of the programs I want...not everything is made for a Mac.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey crissy (again :D)

what kind of internet connection do you have? if you have just a modem, it might take it a while because of the banner ads that come up, plus the fact that every page is fairly big - with a decent amount of information to load up.

i seriously doubt that it's your computer.

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    not all Macs are bad well most of the computer macs are bad but not the McIntyre family [pronounced Mac in tire] then again i'm kinda partial [i am a member of this]

16. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Chrissy, so the email worked eh? Got ya over here!

FWIW, I'm a Mac-user and adorer as well. (Between my Mac fetish and my love of Fenders, I get all sorts of virtual noogies over here...:(...Talkbass is a tough crowd.)

The banner ads do sometimes take a bit to load here...are you on a 56k modem?

-GM

17. ChrissySistrum

ChrissySistrum

Sep 11, 2000
    Thanks guys!! :oops:)

I actually have a cable modem which is usually pretty fast. My boyfriend says it could be a possible problem with Cox Cable here connecting to the server through it's routers?? I don't know. :oops:)

My boyfriend was going to build me a PC, but we were in Comp USA the other day and I saw this awesome Mac, GM, I don't know if you have seen it. The screen is like crystal clear around the outside and very thin. It has a DVD drive, I forget the mhz and ram now, but we are going to go back and look at it again. I have also heard the the new OSX that's coming out is suposed to be really good. I am trying to decide between the PC built by my boyfriend, that Mac, or maybe even a lap top.......I better stop now this is BASS talk ;)

I am very happy to be here and look forward to reading through the posts and older posts.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I GUESS you could call them that.

:D

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yeah....I think they're made out of plastic or somethin'.

...hey Angus :p