Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yo, who's got a mac (os 9+)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Jun 4, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey folks, who's mac-enabled here? anybody know any good discussion forums for mac?

any protools users, too? i have a dual 1.25 mhz g4 that i got recently for the studio (to use with the handy dandy digi002) and i would like to get some input/knowledge sharing with some fellow mac users.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'm a member of the club as far as hardware goes for Pro Tools. I'm a total Mac newbie, so my learning curve is extra steep.

If you can brave the waters of usenet, I've been lurking in rec.audio.pro and rec.audio.marketplace.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what kind of protools rig do you have?

(hee hee, i'm going to have to move my own thread :D)

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The g4 is my wife's and she has unknowingly allowed me access to use it for recording:)

I'll just be using the M-Box for now. I don't plan to do legit record releases or anything like that. I'm still happy with Cakewalk 7.0, but the PT thing is getting too affordable to ignore.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    www.appleinsider.com is a pretty good mac forum, the main focus is about the future of Apple, rumors and such. But the sub forums cover everything else.

Be warned, while there are A LOT of really intelligent and helpful people there(when talking about mac stuff) their Off topic section is a mad house.

another thing is, these guys are all mac zealots, so if you need any help they want to prove their knowledge.

Also it is a good place to start, get leads on all the other good mac forums.

I am a dedicated mac-user, I love the platform, and I love OS 9, I recently switched to OS X, and I love it even more....you should certainly consider it.

6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I've been using macs since I first started using computers, as my parents have been loyal mac-users since they first got into computers. Right now I am using a I Mac running OS 9.1. I am thinking about making the switch to OS X, but I havent really heard enough good about it yet.

7. Well, well. Mac users!

I had an old 520 powerbook years ago. Well made, fast but, like all Macs, essentially frustrating. indecipherable error codes and bizarre, inexplicable crashes. And MEGA font problems (I use a Q Turkish layout). Since win 98 I haven't seen the point. Even the Mac's graphics advantage has gone. So, why?

I eventually decided that the reason people go for macs is that they are cool. They appear in all Hollywood films (obviously - Aliens used Mac OS too, as we saw in 'Independence day').

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I find it kind of funny that you mention crashes with the mac Andy. I've found that the vast majority of computers that use any windows OS other than XP Pro crash or have programs crash on a regular basis. I'm yet to have any major issues with software of hardware on any mac that I've used, specifically my mom's laptop and my friend's G4 tower.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My buddy (pro studio owner and engineer) uses mac, and sold me on it as well. Most stable thing I have ever seen, never a problem. One of these days I will be switching over too......

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think you shouldn't let one bad experience govern your feelings about the platform. Older versions of windows were like staring at sanskrit, but it has improved, just as older versions of MAC os were a little funky, they have improved.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've been a mac user since my family bought our first computer (Mac SE) back in the day. I'm on a TiBook running jaguar now. I've found the discussion forums on the apple website somewhat useful. If there aren't people who can give you advice about protools someone there will probably point you in the right direction.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm dual booting jaguar and os9 on my machine. i'm waiting for digidesign to ship me protools le version 6.0.2 that will run on os x.

thanks for the link, i'll definitely check it out.

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I have the exact same machine! This is my first OSX machine so I'm pretty much at square one on that, and I don't know anything about Pro Tools (except that I'm eyeing an M-Box), so any advice I could offer would be limited general OS9 questions...

:(

Give this a look:
    http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacProAudio.html