YO! You Down wit da Ali G Show???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 25, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Anyone else with HBO into "Da Ali G Show"???....(thank you, England!....it's everything I ever suspected about Vanilla Ice!)

Sample: Ali G interviews former U.N. Sec'y General, Boutros Boutros Ghali, (whom he introduces as "Boutros Boutros Boutros Boutros Ghali") and asks about U.N. member, Guinea - "Why you give crap countries a vote???"

If you haven't seen the show, here's a link - http://www.alig.com/

Besides being a TV host, Ali G is also an author -

2. Hey! it's the guy from the madonna video.
  3. I'm surprised you're only just getting him...he's been going for about 4 or 5 years now I guess. Started out as a guest feature on the (very crap) 11 O Clock show.

Personally I don't think he's funny, but that's just me.
  4. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    You didn't even find the one with all the animal rights people funny ?

"what if it woz a free 'amburger ?......aaahhh then wot wud you do eh ?"

5. rickbass

Well, maybe it's because his content here is "Americanized" (more to laugh at???).

In his current opening, he mentions "the tragic events of 7/11" . That pretty much sets the tone that all bets are off with this guy.
  6. I really cannot stand Ali G. He just isn't funny to me.

And yet some of his material is kinda similar to people like Bremner, Bird & Fortune, who I find hysterical.

Maybe it's the delivery?
  7. He definitely has a limited shelf life due to the fact that he has only one joke. That's probably why he's headed to the US. But I've got to admit that I laughed quite a bit when he first appeared on the 11 O'Clock Show.
  8. rickbass

Did he take on different personas in England???

In his US show, he even took off all the gangsta rap outfit and paid a male model off to get into a men's designer underwear show during Fashion Week in New York City.

He tore it up! When the underwear designer was strutting down the catwalk, he flopped on his belly and started fopping down the catwalk like a tuna doing push-ups!
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It was funny at first, when nobody knew who he was and he would show up the hypocrisy in politicians who wanted to get "hip with the kids" and if they didn't go along with him he would get them really embarassed by saying "is it because I is black!!??" - when of course he isn't, but they coudn't bring themselves to say that in case they were accused of racism!!

It was also originally a good social comment about how white kids want to be black as somehow it makes them "cooler" - but it all went wrong when people started to actually like the Ali G character - which was very funny as he was obviously, originally, being held up to be villified.

But when Sacha Baron Cohen realised he could make more money by being the character, then it stopped being funny or relevant social commentary.

It hasn't been funny for several years now...:(
  10. Well, I find him hilarious! His type of humour is right up my street! Not for everyone's taste, and yes, over here I'm wondering what he could do next that would keep it going.

I think his reference to the 7/11 - was really his death nell in the US. There are a lot of things you can make humourous, and I don't think that was one of them..... I think he really made a bad judgement call on that one.

I thought he was really good when he interviewed the Beckham's!

"So is Brooklyn going to grow up to be a footballer like his daddy, or a singer like Mariah Carey..?"

As always, to each his own!

11. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, it did start to get a bit silly I agree. Like you say, it sorta stopped being a social commentary.

But did you see his TV series? I thought a lot of that was still pretty funny ("Do class A drugs mean they're guaranteed better quality?" :D) - but not as good as what he had been doing previously on the 11 O' clock show.

All those interviews he did were great, I thought.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

I agree with that - how long can you drag out one joke? :rolleyes:

Now - he's just taking the money!

13. Doesn't make him a bad person though! And who wouldn't 'take the money', if it's flowing now, you might as well! I think even he realised that Ali G wouldn be a short lived character for him to milk!

I expect Ali G will go the way of Dennis Pennis - there's only so much you can do with characters like that!
  14. Bruce Lindfield

No, but also doesn't mean we have to like his latest stuff or show any : Rrrrespect!! :D

15. Aye! For sure!:D
  16. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Is it cause he is black?