Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YOB- The Unreal Never Lived- DOOM METAL!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Jan 29, 2006.

1. This is an amazing doom metal recording. Ambience, heaviness, psychedelic parts...and four songs with a total runtime of 51 minutes. :bassist:

MATT TILL: THIS IS A MUST-BUY.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    kvlt!

Sounds awesome... I'll look into it fo sho my man.

3. Get it used if ya can- I found it at my local warehouse for 4.99!

Silly people must've taken it for an EP. :smug: :hyper:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, that happened to me with Yes' Close to the Edge album... 3 tracks? What is this Garbage!! Must be an EP sitch for sure. Best Yes album, IMO

I've taken a real liking to long songs, it's more of an event to listen to them.

5. Agreed.

But it's good that we agree on "doom metal long" as opposed to "Dream Theater long." :smug:

Oh! and on the record, these guys do what I've wanted to hear forever...Eastern throat singers in metal! On the intro and outro of the CD. Incredible.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    WHOA! NOW I NEED TO GET IT!!! Page should too, he's into weird doomy as well... if he doesn't already know.

BTW: For me, a 1 minute Dream Theater song is "Dream Theater long." :D

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sweet dude, thanks for the hookup.

8. Not a problem at all.
    ALSO! GOATSNAKE is awesome. If you don't have "Flower of Disease" then you're not doom. Period.

You can repent by letting me mail it to you, or by waiting to buy the reissues...but you shouldn't. It's crazy good stuff man, it has the rythym section from the Obsessed on the record. Some harmonica here and there, AND my lanky 6'9 cousin Chad playing mouth/jew's harp on the intro to "Easy Greasy." Check their Southern Lord page.

Now then..what Thrones record should I get first?

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Good news... I'm doom. Awesome stuff.

Thrones: Sperm whale is the ultimate Thrones album.

Edit: Wow, I just realized how ironic it is that I just got home from walking my dog and listening to that album....

10. Matriarch Patriarch Godking page has arrived.

Give me a link , I gotta check these guys out.

Goatsnake is some baaaad stuff.

You guys should check out Solace and UFOMAMMUT.

A Dream Theater song is like ........................................................a year long Styx keyboard break mixed with Steve Perry and Johnny P the six string masterbater.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  12. HOLY SON OF A BEEEEOTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is friggin great stuff! How can that dude sing and play those riffs at the same time?

Kinda sounds like slow Neurosis on pot with a bit of Crimso weird in it.

This is going on the "buy" list

13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    http://www.yobdoom.com/
    Another link. I picked this up recently too. This band is awesome. Thunderous thick fog of sonic doom. Reminds me of Jerusalem era Sleep mixed with a bit of Isis/Neurosis. Good stuff.

Fans of this would probably like Cult of Luna, Uneathly Trance or Warhorse.

14. I finally took your Cult of Luna suggestion, needless to say I love them.

15. yeah yob is pretty good. i found out about them from www.combatmusicradio.com scott kelly from neurosis radio show.

16. i love neurosis. they put on unforgetable shows. they're a big influence on my band.

17. Of course, Neurosis is my favorite metal band

18. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Unfortunately YOB is no more. Keep a look out for Mike's new band, though I can't remember the name, sorry. Similiar stuff he said. Doom.

19. Yeah, so I've heard and so I shoulda mentioned :meh: . Well, I believe Mike said it was AGF or some other three-letter name....fingers crossed for some more doom riffage. :bassist:

On a side note, does anyone else find it interesting that YOB's bassist Isamu uses a Ric of all things?