Yogi Berra Describes Jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Red Wonder, Feb 15, 2005.

1. This is too funny...(and true?).

Interviewer: Can you explain jazz?

Yogi: "I can't, but I will. 90% of all jazz is half improvisation. The other half is the part people play while others are playing something they never played with anyone who played that part. So if you play the wrong part, it's right. If you play the right part, it might be right if you play it wrong enough. But if you play it too right, it's wrong."

Interviewer: "I don't understand."

Yogi: "Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it."

Interviewer: "Do you understand it?"

Yogi: "No. That's why I can explain it. If I understood it, I wouldn't know anything about it."

Interviewer: "Are there any great jazz player alive today?"

Yogi: "No. All the great jazz players alive today are dead. Except for the ones that are still alive. But so many of them are dead, that the ones that are still alive are dying to be like the ones that are dead. Some would kill for it."

Interviewer: "What is syncopation?"

Yogi: "That's when the note that you should hear now happens either before or after you hear it. In jazz, you don't hear notes when they happen because that would be some other type of music. Other types of music can be jazz, but only if they're the same as something different from those other kinds."

Interviewer: "Now I really don't understand."

Yogi: "I haven't taught you enough for you to not understand jazz that well."
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That might be a little amusing, but it is in no way, shape, or form true. Not even by a long stretch of the imagination.
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sounds like a little verbal jazz, there.
  4. Yeah its just for amusement purposes. In no way did I intend to actually define jazz by Yogi's standards ( :eyebrow: )

I just get a kick out of how Yogi explains things.
  5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    '... and they give you cash, which is just as good as money'

Yogi Berra on one of those AFLAC commercials. :D Even the duck was shaking its head after that one. :D
  6. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    did you write that????? that's brilliant. that is sooooooo yogi. and not all that off about the jazz either. :D
  8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sounds like he's been hanging out in Zambiland with Col. Bruce.
  9. no, Bruce does things like read the ingredients of a can of soup on stage (as lyrics) :meh:
  10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I love that last line. That may be my next sig! :eyebrow: :cool: :p