Yonder Mountain String Band's Ben Kaufmann

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Planet Boulder, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hi all - I normally post on the electric side o' the site, but I was wanting to give you guys a heads up about Ben Kaufman, if you haven't checked him out already. He plays acoustic and electric uprights.

I've seen YMSB a bunch of times, most recently their two shows this past weekend in Ft. Collins, Colorado and this guy ALWAYS blows me away!!

If you get the chance to check him out, please do so.

Yonder's site is www.yondermountain.com
  2. garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Not bad! I had never been incredibly impressed by the recordings I had heard, but I saw them live for the first time last night in Tulsa, and they put on a great show. He's a very solid player, not too flashy, only two or three solos; but one of them was arco which was a pleasant surprise. The highlight of the evening though was a version of 'keep on moving' into 'girlfriend is better' by the Talking Heads Very nicely done!!
  3. "...only two or three solos...'keep on moving' into 'girlfriend is better' by the Talking Heads..."

He is a good bass player, but they call themselves a stringband?!

Doesn't that term refer to oldtime bands where the fiddle/banjo/mandolin play the tune melody all (or most of) the time?

I think they are really a jam-rock band. Not even bluegrass...

4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Amen, brother.