Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkie AP2020 + RBI/Programmable for rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Nov 9, 2005.

1. I have just bought a 4-Ohm Avatar B410 Pro and already own a 1X15. I'm considering trading in my Yorkie XS400H for a Yorkie AP2020 (600WX2 into 2 or 4 ohms) along with a Sansamp RBI or Programmable as a Pre. This way I could run both cabs without risking my amp :)

Being 0% financing month at Long and McQuade's for Yorkville this month, this is looking awefully tempting :)

Q: Has anyone used this amp in this (or a simular) situation?

- Andrew

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I used that amp to power a 1x18 cab once, the cops got called that night even though the closest house was about 100 feet away.

3. Excellent... :bassist:

- Andrew

My buddy has one as a PA amp, may see if he'll let me borrow it.

4. For any of you thinking of using Yorkville Power amps to run their rig:

I just borrowed the AP2020 from a friend and ran it briefly last night - about 5 minutes. Here's my setup:

MM Sterling --> Yorkville XS400H (Preamp only) --> AP2020 Power Amp --> Avatar B410 Pro with Cross-over mod.

My first thought on an A/B comparision is that the AP2020 is extremely clean. I noticed a big difference in sound right away. While the XS400H's power amp section is great sounding, I found it "dark" compared to the AP2020. Its like turning on a flashlight in a slightly darkened room. I'm very much impressed with the way this Amp sounds this far and I'm looking forward to giving it a bit of a push this afternoon.

- Andrew

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    If the power amp section is anything like the one in my 400B, then you'll find it to be very transparent. That's why I love older yorkville amps, they have such a powerful eq and a transparent power section that you can literally make it sound like anything you want.

6. I had the 400B up until last year - I actually traded it in on the XS400H. The power sections are nothing alike. I agree 100% - the 400B is extremely transparent. I occasionally used to use it for a PA amp :)

- Andrew

7. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Andrew,
    Keep us posted! :bassist:
    I'm considering that amp for a pre I just bought. I'm eventually going to rent one from L&M to compare it against my other stuff. I've used the AP amps for PA, and was impressed by the sound and how quiet the fan is.

8. I gave it a good run and was indeed very loud. However, my room was vibrating so badly that I could not tell what was original and what was sympathetic :bassist: .

So... all I've learned so far is that its loud. I DID notice though that my XS400H could easily match the volume. Since the AP2020 is supposed to be dishing out about 600 watts into four ohms, I'm suspecting that I wasn't driving the AP2020 hard enough from my Pre. Unfortunately I don't have a banana plug ATM to throw my 1X15 into the equation.

From my experience with Yorkville, I would have absolutely no trouble relying on an AP2020 as a rig.
    - Andrew

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Ashbory, ask for Andrew in credit when you come to rent that amp at the Burlington L&M!!!

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Andrew, the only real benefit between 400w and 600w is headroom...you won't hear much difference in volume between the two...don't get me wrong though, I'm a huge fan of having extra headroom, it's a good thing!

:D

11. I was wondering when you would show up in this thread :) I agree that there would not be a LARGE difference in volume, but should be some. Its not a doubling of watts but it is a significant increase ala 50%, so however the math works out on that, it should be noticable. Its funny you should mention head-room - one thing I DID notice was how much more pronounced a good slap and pop was with the AP2020. Still good with the XS400H, but the AP2020 just seemed to do it effortlessly if that makes any sense.

- Andrew

12. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Yep, that's because it can make that sound without having to clip.

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada

I'm not sure how the math works out, to be honest, but doubling the wattage does not double the volume, nor does increasing wattage by 50% increase your volume by 50%...if you do a search, there's a thread on this subject I'm sure...

...and if it's increased headroom you're looking for, why not just get the XS800H??? Hope I'm not violating the CUP here...but I used the XS400H tonite with an XC808 for a rehearsal, and while the tone was pretty good, I did notice a difference...what little slapping I did was "mushy" instead of crisp and clear like I'm used to with my 800 rig...

...however, having a power amp with a separate pre does offer you some flexibility...I wish they would make just an XS preamp that you could match with different power amps to meet individual needs...I mean, 400 and 800 watts are good points...wouldn't mind having 1000-1200w @ 40hms available though! Or 1600w at two ohms... <drooling> :bassist:

14. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    You should pitch it, I'd buy that 'fo sho' :)

15. I would have to pull out my old College notes to get the calculation. I know I've read it recently in a post but the exact form of the Log escapes me. I'm not overly concerned about it though or I would just do a search.

I was thinking of the AP2020 since its a 2-channel amp. I'm thinking down the road of running an active x-over and 2 cabs for the really big shows. The Tuba-24 comes to mind for the bottom. Anyway, the other advantage of course is that this amp will go to 2 ohms.

The XS800H doesn't fit my application since its basically a louder version of what I already have... volume isn't an issue ATM.

I can't really comment on the XS preamp, relative to others since its really the only one I've used to any extent. I use the preamp's XLR-out to the board at my church and the sound guy is quite happy with the tone... I used the Samsamp Programmable very briefly at the L&M on Steeles and was impressed with how much it opened up an American Jazz I was using as a Guinnea Pig. So, there's where the subject of this thread came from.

Thanks Rev for the comments.

- Andrew