Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville 100B -- When were you made?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I got a Yorkville 100B (I assumed BM100 when I saw it, but under actual inspection at my home I realized it was not, in fact, a BM100) a few months ago and I'm curious about when they were made. They aren't listed on Yorkville's site or in their catalog, so they obviously have been discontinued at some time or another. There also is no visible feature on how to use the serial number to date this thing, so do any of you afficiandoes of amplying know about this one?

2. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Ya, xxxx---- the x digits,I think, indicate month and year,i.e 0903--- indicate Sep of 2003. That is what my xs400H shows and in fact I bought it a few weeks ago.

3. I did a search on Yorkville 100B and came up with some hits on the Yorkville site for a service manual and owners manual. The links no longer work, but you can get HTML text from the Google cache on the contents.

From what I can see, it appears that the "model 100B" is actually an XM100 Bassmaster bass combo amp - 1x15" and 100 watts. Does this sound about right? If you check the usual places for reviews, this no-frills model is actually very well rated for the money. The last version of the owners manual was dated 1999.

4. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    If the unit has a curved front and grill then it is an xm100 if not then it is a bm100 or 100B.If it has a blue ozite finish then it is a bm100.I had an old 100b and it was black.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Eeek! The last two digits of the serial number are 64 :p. But it's more than 4 digits, so I dont' think that's the case with this.

15" speaker and 100 watts sound just right. Hmmm...thanks for the info, I'll have to look into this.

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    "Another thing changed in 1970. Serial numbers went from four or five digits to seven digits with the manufacturing date coded into the first three. This system is still in use and might be worth noting. The first digit is the last digit of the year and the next two are the month. for example, serial number 0060001 would be from 1970, munth number 06 (June). What about 1980, or 1990 or 2000? No problem. Yorkville usually changes the model designation or the product within 10 years."

This was published just two years ago (February, 2002 by Mike Holman), I can check and see if this is still the case, which I think it is judging by the current serial numbers I see at work. If it is, though, Sitback's s/n should read 312xxxx or 311xxxx or 310xxxx...

If my memory serves correctly, the 100Bs would have been the amp marketed in the late 80s, early 90s, somewhere in that time frame. The BM series are the 90s era and now the XM series are here for the new millenium. I was a g****r player for most of that time though, so don't hold me to that!!!:bassist:

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The serial numbers on current stock I have and their estimated production run matches with the s/n "scheme" listed by Yorkville in their history.