1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yorkville 250B - such a good deal! What do I do??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Velkov, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I've been looking at getting a new amp as my Yorkville BM100 is not loud enough for some of the jam sessions that I do now. I've been playing for a couple of years and I thought it's time for something bigger. Anyway, I was still looking at combos because I didn't think I need a real rig yet. So, just when I have saved up almost enough money for an Ashdown Electric Blue 12" combo, I accidently run into a used Yorkville 250B head that this pawn shop is selling for $175 Canadian (about $120 USD)

I played through a 15" combo version of that same amp all winter because somebody had left it in my drummer's basement. So, I know it's a very good amp, for my needs. It has all the EQ I could dream of, limiter, and enough power for my purposes. My only concern is that it is probably 15 years old and what am I going to do if it breaks on me. I've heard from people that yorkville stuff doesn't break.

For the money I was going to spend on the electric blue, I can get this head, and a reasonable cab, and not worry about volume for a few years. Should I just go for it? What kind of a cab would I pair it with. I'm thinking get a 2x10 to start. Wow, I'm so excited. Anybody ever played through a Yorkville 250B?

2. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Keep in mind I was going to get the Electric Blue which is far from the top-of-the-line Ashdown stuff. Do you think it would still sound better than the yorkville?

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've never used a Yorkville at a gig, but I think they're a good deal. I'd seriously consider the Yorkville.

4. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    SMASH, how does the trade-in work out at Long And McQuade. If I get the yorkville head, I'll have to trade my old yorkville combo in for a 2x10 cab. Do they pretty much rip you off, like some used stuff stores or are they reasonable? How much do you think I'll get for a combo that I bought 2 years ago for $400 CDN? Any guesses?

By the way, you're right about the yorkville head. If in a couple of years my taste becomes more "refined" I'll only have spent $175. That's great! I'm getting it!