Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville 250B - such a good deal! What do I do??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Velkov, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I've been looking at getting a new amp as my Yorkville BM100 is not loud enough for some of the jam sessions that I do now. I've been playing for a couple of years and I thought it's time for something bigger. Anyway, I was still looking at combos because I didn't think I need a real rig yet. So, just when I have saved up almost enough money for an Ashdown Electric Blue 12" combo, I accidently run into a used Yorkville 250B head that this pawn shop is selling for $175 Canadian (about $120 USD)

I played through a 15" combo version of that same amp all winter because somebody had left it in my drummer's basement. So, I know it's a very good amp, for my needs. It has all the EQ I could dream of, limiter, and enough power for my purposes. My only concern is that it is probably 15 years old and what am I going to do if it breaks on me. I've heard from people that yorkville stuff doesn't break.

For the money I was going to spend on the electric blue, I can get this head, and a reasonable cab, and not worry about volume for a few years. Should I just go for it? What kind of a cab would I pair it with. I'm thinking get a 2x10 to start. Wow, I'm so excited. Anybody ever played through a Yorkville 250B?

2. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Keep in mind I was going to get the Electric Blue which is far from the top-of-the-line Ashdown stuff. Do you think it would still sound better than the yorkville?

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've never used a Yorkville at a gig, but I think they're a good deal. I'd seriously consider the Yorkville.

4. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    SMASH, how does the trade-in work out at Long And McQuade. If I get the yorkville head, I'll have to trade my old yorkville combo in for a 2x10 cab. Do they pretty much rip you off, like some used stuff stores or are they reasonable? How much do you think I'll get for a combo that I bought 2 years ago for $400 CDN? Any guesses?

By the way, you're right about the yorkville head. If in a couple of years my taste becomes more "refined" I'll only have spent $175. That's great! I'm getting it!