Yorkville 400B vs. Ashdown MAG300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theuzedrk, Dec 21, 2005.

1. I have been looking for a bass amp for quite some time. I finally have some money and now I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buying something soon.
    After some research and looking on Ebay I've narrowed it down to two choices. The Yorkville 400B and The Ashdown Mag 300 (hence the title).
    I've played the Mag 300 and I like it. However I have not played the 400B.
    I came across this 400B on Ebay. It seems like a resonable deal.
    Currently I'm not in a band nor am I very good at bass, I'd just like to have something to play through that I could use when I get into a band.
    I've read the posts on here about the Mag 300 and all those I could find that mentioned the 400B.
    If anyone can offer some insight as to what I should do I'd appreciate it greatly.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the ashdown a lot better. I have one , and combined with my avatar b212 cab its a great affordable rig. My tone kicks booty.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unfortunately I haven't played the Ashdown, but I really liked the 400B for the short time I had it. Had to move it because I had too many amps.
  4. Never tried the Ashdown but I did own a 400B for several years. It was a real work-horse. I wasn't keen on the tone much - it just sounded too clean or something. Couldn't really put my finger on it. I used to sub it in for a PA amp occasionally and it sounded fine.

That being said, I never had a good cabinet for it either.

A friend of mine has a 400B combo and it sounds great.

Also, as is always spoken of when Yorkville is mentioned, the Warranty is incredible. As a company, Yorkville will really take care of you.

- Andrew
  5. Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep it in mind while I make my decision.
  6. I currently play the 400b, i like it and the price they are asking seems reasonible. I'm not playing it out of the greatest cab. but its got plenty of power and if the you have trouble getting the tone you want, don't forget there are pedals out there
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ashdown, everytime...
  8. I think thats what I am leaning towards. If I get the Ashdown I get a warrenty, with the Yorkville I don't.
    Thanks again everyone.
  9. This is sort of last minute, but here I go anyways.
    Tomarrow I'm off to the local music store to have them order a Ashdown MAG-300R for me. However, I'm still debating on a cabinet. I think I'm going to start off with a 2x10, but the question is; which one? I'm debating between a Dr. Bass Rx 210 and a Avatar B210 Neo. Both are priced the same and have the same shipping. My intuition is to go with the Avatar, but I am interested in the Dr. Bass.

Here is the setup I am thinking about:
    Ashdown Mag-300R head
    either the Dr. Bass or Avatar 2x10
    Gator 4 Space Rack Case (head only requires 2 spaces, but I want 2 more so I can add things later on)

rack mounted tuner

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?
    Thanks again. :bassist: