Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville 800 watt head issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juddium, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Alright, so I got my yorkie 800 watt head, and it's runing into my dr. bass 1260 cab, and it sounds fantastic, but there's a minor problem. Whenever I get into the octave of the bass neck, the sound gets a little weird - sounds kinda like there's a slight chorus effect going on. It's not running through anything, just my Fender bass straight into the amp head. Would this be a neck adjustment, or would it be my amp? I don't believe I've heard it on any other setup I've used, but I did move up to college and haven't had a chance to play my bass through anything else since the move.

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Make sure the string has enough pressure on the nut. This happened to me once. The way I strung my bass allowed a string to vibrate on both sides of the nut every time I played the string.

danman

3. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    which nut? I'm not completely literate when it comes to the workings of the bass

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Sounds to me like your pickups are a wee bit too close to the strings. Try dropping them down a smidge. The magnets pull the strings out of tune with themselves. Kinda strange. I have had GTR players SWEAR it couldn't be that simple when they drop off their GTR. This is after I have offered to fix it RIGHT NOW, for free, while they wait. They tell me it can't be that, so they get to leave the gtr, come back in a cupla days, and pay $20 for me to turn a few screws. How do you like the 800H?? I just got one for backline rental, with a XC410. Rox, IMHO.

XS400H for sale......

Lee

5. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    the XS800H is really sweet, although I can't really compare it to anything since this is my first real bass rig.

also, I was parusing the setup forums and wondered if, since it seems to be 12th fret and up, could it be that my truss rod needs to be tightened?

course this thread would probably be better off in the setup forums

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    press down on the strings on the tuning machine side of the nut( the little bridgelike thingy at the top of the neck that the strings rest on.)

if the string is not sitting in the nut tight enough the string will vibrate between it and the tuner every time you play the string.

just a thought because it had happened to me before.

danman