Yorkville 8x8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Feb 24, 2006.

1. DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    Just looking for some opinions on this cabinet, can it handle a low b at high volumes..... any other pros and cons are welcome, thank you.
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    A rehearsal studio near me has all new traynor/yorkville gear. I love that cab. Yes it does great with a low B. It looks pretty heavy but I never have to move it. If I tried to move it they'd easily catch me and take it back, because you can't run with a heavy cab and it's not mine.
  3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA

I have one for a year now and simply love it ! I don`t play 5 string bass but drop D tune quite a bit.

We tried it also using a friend of mine`s 6 string Bass and there was a lot of definition on the low B. While playing low B and notes on the high C at the same time, it was clear, clear with lots of definition.

Definitely a good cab to consider if you want to cut through on stage on small to medium size gigs with no PA support, etc.
  4. Its very heavy indeed. Its actually a little smaller in my mind then I would have suspected for 8 drivers; then again, they are 8 inchers.

The sound at low volumes is VERY different from what you get when you crank it. That is my primary complaint and the main reason I returned it after buying. It certainly does go loud, but as volume increases, the mids increase in volume more than the bass and treble, so the sound becomes washed out. If you're into mid-grind then this may work for you.

I was a little concerned about the quality of drivers in this cab, after all there are 8 of them, plus the cabinet, all for less then $700 CDN. If you do the math, the drivers work out to around $50 a pop, retail pricing. Wholesale would probably be half that. That being said, I don't know what drivers are in there so I am only speculating. But considering that the drivers only handle 100 watts a piece, must mean they have tiny voice coils or tiny travel. If they have tiny voice coils, then that would explain the completely different sound you get out of this cab when you crank it.

- Andrew
  5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I play a 5 string detuned a full step to A and it sounds pretty good to me. I power it with an Yorkville XS400H, which is a little on the light side, but it is all I have for now. I'd upgrade to the XS800H because I love the tone so much, but the OD is different in it, more of a fuzz, and I don't care for that as much, so it's a tough call.