1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yorkville Acoustic Amp- OK for Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vcs700s, Nov 28, 2006.

1. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I have a Fender P Bass Deluxe that I play into a Harke B300 bass amp which is rated at 30 watts. It has a 10" speaker.

I also have a Yorkville AM100 acoustic guitar amp. It is rated at 100 watts with 2 6.5" speakers and a 3" tweeter.

Just for fun I plugged the bass into the Yorkville amp, at low volume, and it sounded great! Obviously, I would not turn it up loud, but is it safe to run the bass through that amp?

I know that other manufacturers make bass amps with smaller speakers- Phil Jones and Eden etc.

Any input, no pun intended,:) would be appreciated.

2. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    Also, maybe one of the experts here could explain the difference in speakers that are used in a bass amp and an acoustic amp or electric guitar amp.

I am new to bass and really want to learn about these things- please!

3. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    acoutic amps are made to handle lower frequecies as far as I know. I have always said and been told it's better to use a bass amp for an acoustic then a guitar amp. I don't have facts to back it up though.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You're safe to use the Yorkville acoustic amp at low volumes like you have been. I doubt you'll damage the speakers but be careful not to use too much bass boost as the speakers aren't designed to handle that. You'll be able to hear when the speakers start sounding strained and you can back off on the volume.

Most of the hit records of the late 50s and through the 60s were recorded with the electric bass being run into fairly low power open back guitar amps like the Fender Concert. Worked fine for recording because you don't need high volumes to record. In fact, it's better not to if you ant to avoid leaking into other microphones.

I once recorded a couple singles back in the 70s with my Fender running into a little less than 10 watt, no name, open back guitar amp with one 8" speaker. I had the amp close miced and baffled off in the studio and played at very low volumes. The rsulting recorded sound was like a big tube amp being pushed hard on a live gig. That same amp would have been fine for only quiet bedroom practice. Add an acoustic guitar and you wouldn't be heard properly, at least not with any good bass sound.

I'll leave it to the experts to tell you why electric bass speakers are designed differently.