Yorkville Amps, how are they?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave44, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Hi Folks:

I may have to change my position on the type and cost of a combo amp I'll soon need. I have heard that Yorkville has a few amps on the market. Can anyone give me a leg up on what these amps are about and how well they preform in a small club setting?

Thanx Mo, Dave
  2. daveemac

Dec 6, 2001
    SF, CA
    I just upgraded from a B100 which I used on jazz club gigs for several years. A lot like a polytone minibrute, to my ears, but a little lighter and cheaper.

I'm looking for $200 if you're in the sf bay area. I recommend them for low budget.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Buying Canadian, eh? Ha ha.

It all depends on which amp you're getting. Their most expensive amp - I can't remember what it's called, but it has the removable rackmount head - sounds pretty good and would probably be okay for a small club, provided of course you're not trying to compete with two 4x10's. I didn't like their smaller combos at all - for their size and weight, they didn't offer as much volume as other brands. The tone was alright, though not very versatile.
    All in all I wouldn't recommend Yorkville's bass amps. They aren't expensive, but if money isn't the main issue I'd sooner save another couple hundred bucks and get an Ampeg combo.
  4. have you been to L&M in town? they usually have a Yorkville combo in stock and they also probably have one in their rental stock. I've rented the 400 watt 115 combo and was not super impressed with the 115. if they make a 210 that would be the way to go as the 210 cabinet is well liked by BassPlayer mag. I own the 400 head, it only really lacks 2 things IMO, an XLR direct out (has a phone jack) and a tuner send. It has decent power, no fan and sounds good. Cheers

ps to other Yorkville owners: can you hook up a tuner to the effects send and have it work and not blow up the tuner input? Thanks
  5. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I have the Yorkville 400 Bassmaster head running into an Ampeg SVT 410 HLN.
    Sounds great to me. Loads of power, easy to lug around, and the price was right $525 CDN.

No problems here...
  6. Flatbass11

Flatbass11 Supporting Member

May 29, 2001
    Medford, MA
    I just purchased a Yorkville Bass Master 400 head last weekend.

I knew nothing of the companys history and I judged it by its own merits. The thing is built like a tank, is very clean and linear in tone, has lots of power, and it's very reasonably priced. It reminds me of a power amp with a parametric eq. I would definitely recommend the 400 head.