Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CabbageStabbage, Dec 24, 2004.

1. CabbageStabbage

CabbageStabbage

Oct 11, 2004
    Ottawa
    Hey, everyone!

I was thinking of getting a nice, big amp for my bass. I am looking at the 100 watt Yorkville amp, with a carpet covering, and a metal front grille.

I have a couple questions: Are Yorkvilles reliable? Are they loud, more specifically loud enough to be heard well over drums? Also, are there any other amps in its price range to check out? I'm looking at something below $500.

2. I am assuming you are looking at at combo unit, yorkville makes a 1X15 and a 2X10 combo. I think that yorkville make some of the best combos out there for the money. they are great quality, sound good, and are loud for their ratings.

just decide what speaker config you want and I don't think you can go wrong with a Yorkville combo.

3. excellent amps. the latest generation of bassmasters appear to have all the bases covered. (no pun intended)

you should be able to pick this up wasily for less than 500 CAD.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=197&cat=15&type=32

there is even a thread on this amp. ." Heard a XM200 live" or something like that.

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    If you've got $500.00 to spend then go ahead and get the XM200 over the XM100, you'll thank me later! :bassist:

5. i think he is talking canadian dollars, which is less. but i would go for the 400 watter 210t myself, which you can get around 500 u.s., I believe. Maybe a little more.

6. you can find a xs400t for 500 US?!? I'd really like to know from where, cuz i'm trying to get just a standard xs400 for $750 USD

7. cresecnt city music, florida. he Alan Glenn) ordered my yorkville PA speaks for me and charged me 20% over his cost, plus ship and tax. if he does the same for the amp, then yes, it should be somewhere around there. I forget what that piece was. It seemed like the one with the tolex covering was more money. but the rat fur one was cheaper.

www.crescentcitymusic.biz

maybe it would be more like 550 or something. not sure. I think 750 sounds like retail.

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Yorkville has a legacy for being reliable, plus their 2 Year Warranty is unbeatable.

Useless Fact: Original Traynor prototypes had to survive being thrown out a second story window before they were put into large scale production.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'd also reccommend the XM200T or SX400T...but if you want 15" speakers, the XM100C, XM200(C) or XS400(C) would be cool alternatives as well...

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to agree about the great quality of Yorkville amps. I have the XM100 and I will probably get the XM200 before it's all said and done. These amps are super solid with a great sound. They are also well built and mine has been very reliable for about a year. It is plenty loud for my purposes which is playing and home and small venues. If you need a small or medium combo, I can't think of a better one for the money.

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    My cousin has an old BM400 and BM210, they're a good 6 years old and look as good as new.

Personally, the BM series sounded much better than the XS series to me...

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The cabinet was BC210, the combo would be a BM200T

I'd have to kindly disagree with you...had the BM400, and while I found it to be a nice "starter" amp for me after getting back into serious bass playing after some time being "unfaithful" with other instruments, I flipped it after 6 months because I just couldn't get decent tone out of it without serious effects prossessing...no problems dialling in decent tone with the XS400TC combo, and while I still use some effects, it's not out of necessity...several times I'll take it on it's own to smaller gig and get great feedback. Folks that have heard me play with the BM model and then hear the XS can't believe that they're made by the same company.

IMHO, the X series amps are a giant leap forward. But there are some who prefer the B series, and there ain't nothing wrong with that! They just didn't work for me personally, that's all...

13. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Ok, the BM is great for a scooped tone, yes I admit, I scoop my mids :spit:

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hey man, ain't nothing wrong with that!

You can do the same with the X series though, cut your mids with the 5 band eq (cut the mids at about 400K) and then further drop them with the "Scoop" function.

While it wasn't for me, it was a great workhorse...may pick one up cheap just to have around for students and as a utility amp...