Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yorkville bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whitester, Jun 17, 2002.

1. i have just found out about and played the canadian made yorkville bass amps, the 400 w is quite a nice amp

any thoughts, sightings or experiences

cheers

2. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    wrong forum page but regardless how much was that amp

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yeah...I own a Yorkville combo and I absolutly love it. The craftsmanship is awesome for the price that is paid. I have heard great things about the 400 watt amp.

4. Yorkville sound was Jim Traynor's company, and has sold high quality amps Jim originally designed for bass and guitar since the 1960's under the "Traynor" and "Yorkville" brands.

One of the best bass amps I had in the 70's was a Traynor YBA-1 amp, (it was either 100 or 200 watts) with twin 15" speakers. We called them the Canadian Fenders (my YBA-1 was like the Bassman).

My teenage daughter is currently learning guitar - her practice amp is a Traynor.:)

(This thread should be moved to Amps)

5. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    how much money is the 400 watt amp

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    My combo is a Yorkville Bloc150 that I got used for $125. I wasn't too thrilled with the full range 15" in there so I switched it out for a Carvin 15" and added a Carvin "Red Eye" compression tweeter(w/switch) for highs. I use it for gtr and bass, and it handles both well. When I use gtr, I switch the horn on...off for bass. Has plenty of power for smaller gigs(150 watts). I guess with the mods you could call it a "Car-ville"!

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i love my yorkville.i have the 50 watt,i love it.ive had for a year and nothings gone wrong...yet!i reccomend em to everyone.

8. whoops sorry, wrong forum, mods feel free to bumb it over.

about the yorkvillles, they are the most affordable and great sounding bass amps and cabs i have seen and payed. subscribing it TB for a while, all i hear is eden this and swr that, but i think yorkville even gives these guys a run for their money especially the BM400 combo, they are no doing a new line which has a whole new look (a lot like swr's metal grill)

anyways just want to see what others thought!!

bty a warwick thumb sounds amazing through the 400 combo!!

cheers

9. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I have the yorkville bassmaster 400w 1x15/tweeter and I love it. It was around $800 canadian. It has a contour button on it so you can get a huge phat <---yes PH fat .......reggae type sound(not that it doesn't sound big to begin with) and option to turn the eq on or off. It also has a 4x10 cabinet that goes with it. You can also pull the head out quite easily if you wanted to use something else. IMO awesome amp for the money.

-------------OFFICIAL OVERVIEW--------------

Punch and headroom are the hallmark traits of this 400 watt combo which is also available as a rackmountable head. The amplifier’s unusually high headroom (over 725 Watts clean burst power) minimizes attack distortion and lets the true character and sound of your bass come to life.

BM400 Features
    Features include: switchable limiter, footswitchable 10 band graphic EQ with master level control, footswitchable "Contour" which combines a powerful bass boost with mid cut for great percussive, balanced line outputs (post EQ/pre master) and Effects Loops on both the front and back. The 400 Combo incorporates the same rugged all-steel chassis head as the BM400H but in a percussion tuned compact enclosure with a single 15" speaker and tweeter.
    www.yorkville.com

I hope this answers your question (and I bet you're sorry you asked :) )

10. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I revcently go tthe 400w Yorkville combo. I'm loving it!:) BIG sounds, lots of oomph. Go tit at an amazing price. I played it right next to the Fender Bassman 200, and the SWR Workingman's 15.
    The tone wasn't quite as warm as the SWR, but it fits my style much better. The Fender sounded rough and thin.

Are their cabs similar to their combos soudwise?

Travis

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    why an amps topic is in bassists i'll never know.

c'mon now, think before you post

12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I can't speak directly for the BM400, but my main amp is the 200W version w/1x15 speaker, so I'll talk tone instead of power/volume.

I totally agree that the Yorkville/Traynor products are good value, but good value comes at a cost - good tone.

Some history - after playing guitar for ages, I switched to bass and started building a worthy rehearsal setup and got myself a Godin SD4 and the Yorkville BM200. These two peices alone improved my tone from my previous setup - a POS "Spacer" bass an old tube PA head through an "Earth Sounds Research" 1x15 ported cab.

After twiddling around with EQ settings on the Yorkville and playing with the cut and contour (mid-scoop) buttons, I found any tone unusable without the contour activated - this tended to cut volume significantly and with the BM200's 150W power rating, I was left struggling to be heard in rehearsal. I was able to augment the tone by adding a SansAmp Bass DI to the chain and I was able to get satisfactory sound.

Then, for several weeks, I had the use of an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp through a Hartke 3500 and a T-A 4x10. Wow!!! Still using my Godin, it blew my little setup right out of the water for all the obvious reasons, but the tone was just that much more killer than the BM200 and the SansAmp.

I'm back to the BM200/SansAmp with an old Traynor 4x10 extension cab and that has given me more power (up to 184W now at 4ohms) and more volume with that much more speaker area, but I'm still not satisfied with the tone.

I'm now shopping for a more powerful and tone-worthy rig and looking at spending up to $2K on either Ampeg or SWR. I'm not really sure if I would keep the BM200 as a back-up - I'd sell it to someone who would appreciate it more, I suppose.

I would really suggest a side-by-side comparison listening test with the Yorkville against any other amp in it's price range. Yes, the BM line is good for it's price and the BM400 would most likely do a better job than the BM200 and I would likely have gone for the 2x10 if I were to do it all over again.

The one thing that Yorkville has over any other line is thier warranty - probably the best in the biz.

DD

14. i got the 50 and i love it.

15. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I am running a Yorkville 400 BM head through an Ampeg 410 SLN with a SANSAMP BDDI set for the SVT tone. Contour, Limiter, and EQ in the on position. Sounds killer, IMO.

Playing active Fender Jazz, passive Fender Jazz and passive Fender P.

Got it used for $525CDN at L&Mc a year and a half ago.

People on here can slag them all they want. I like the tone, and everyone who has ever heard it loves it. Nice and thick and rumblly (is that a word?). I play out quite regularly and have never had a problem. I mounted it into a padded travel case for easy transport and setup.

I’m not too sure on the combos though. One 15" sounds a bit muddy to me. Just my opinion.

16. I haven't used any recent Yorkville equipment besides occasionally borrowing a cab at a show but I have used a Traynor Custom Special all tube bass head from somewhere in the 70's and I thought it sounded great, almost as good as the old Ampeg V4B (and later on an old SVT) I replaced it with although it still works fine. I've also seen a Traynor tube head used for guitar by fellow Toronto punk outfit Armed and Hammered and thought the tone was freakin' great.
    The old Traynor stuff is fairly widespread in TO but Yorkville is everywhere, mebbe cuz a lot of people rent and buy off Long and Mcquade (myself included).
    I'm sounding like a salesman so I'll quit now.
    Cheerz,
    Wounded Paw

17. Considering I paid about $1.00 US per watt new for my BM400H, I don't think I can bitch too much. The 2 things lacking IMHO, are a tuner out and and XLR direct out. Otherwise, it's loud, sounds good and has been bulletproof. I used to rent the combo versions from L&M for a while and I agree the 115 in the combo isn't the greatest. Yorkville makes a pretty good 210 cab though.
    Cheers.

18. Tone would be the price paid for the shear power these amps offer. I am ceaslessly amazed at how Traynor and Pork-ville have gained a sort of "cult" status these past years. Pete Traynor's a dude and he created a situation where allot of us low-income Canadian kids could have access to adequate gear for which I think we all owe him a debt of gratitude. Myself, I suffered through weak tone and trashy sound until I could afford a *real* amp. that old stuff sounds like MUD guys...c'mon. Well built tho'...

19. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm a Canadian and old enough to have grown up with Traynor/Yorkville. My take , then and now, is this. It is great value for the money. Me personally - I would spend the extra and get Eden, SWR, Ampeg G-K...whatever.But if you're on a budget Traynor/Yorkville stuff is well built with good sound.

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The 400w is by far Yorkville's best. I've played through most of their amps and the 400w was the only one I thought was decent.

Still... for that kind of money, I'd save a little more and get an SWR, Ampeg or G-K instead.