Yorkville BassMaster Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruce Sproston, Jul 22, 2005.

1. I bought a new 50 watt Yorkville BassMaster amp and although the sound is great, I tried plugging my Technics cd player into the 2 RCA compatible imputs and even with the sound turned completely down, the music was almost deafening! I've been told that cd players put out up to 5 times the voltage as guitar pickups but you'd think that would be accounted for in the Yorkville amp if they are providing the imputs for the cd player. The Yorkville 100 watt BassMaster amp also has the RCA compatible imputs. My Technics cd player doesn't have any sound controls so adjusting from that source is a non issue. Has anyone with these two types of Yorkville amps run into the same problem and if so has it been corrected? Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?
  2. sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey Bruce, I just looked at the schematic on their web sight, it looks like you need to control the gain going into the RCA jacks, try using a small pre-amp with a gain control, they can be had for 10-20 dollars at your local music store (L&M). I have one that I use as mini mixer.
  3. Thanks for the info, sitback; makes you wonder why they put the RCA jacks on the 50 & 100 watt Yorkville BassMaster amps
    if you've got to add a mixer/pre amp anyway. You'd think they would've taken that into consideration when designing the amps. The Fender Rumble amps also include th RCA jacks for cd or line imput, wonder if they have the same problem!
  4. sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I think most portable cd and mp3 players have a volume/gain control on them and I guess they must have thought of that, usually Yorkville thinks of everything.:)
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    your first problem is,
    its yorkville
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    yorkville is not the problem, its the cd player! :p other combos could have been a much much worse choice. I wonder if the owners manual says anything about portable cd connection or headphone out being connected to the RCAs.??

I looked at the manual and it says "RCA Input
    This input allows you to plug in an external audio source
    such as a CD or tape. This feature is extremely helpful
    for practicing." so I guess its not clear, but portable cd or tape player with headphone was what I would have first thought of hooking up.

Bruce, BTW I'm not picking on your amp. I like yorkville!!!
  7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    It's not a Yorkville problem as my buddy Modny would suggest, most OLBs RCA jacks also do not have a separate gain control.

Sitback's solution is a good one in the interim...I'll pass this along to my pals at Yorkville, who knows, perhaps the next generation will feature another industry first by Yorkville: adjustable RCA Gain! ;)
  8. Thanks so much for all the imput, I've resolved the problem! Located a Panasonic portable cd player that I had forgotton about and paid a visit to my local "The Source" store (formerly Radio Shack). I Bought an audio Y cable for $ 24.99 and connected one end to the cd player's earphone jack and the two jacks at the other end into the Yorkville amp's RCA jacks. The result was impressive and I can now listen to my cd's and bass through the amp, adjusting the volume using the controls on either the amp or the cd player. The lesson here is that the RCA jacks on the Yorkville amp are only meant for small portable cd players, not those like my Technics for home stereo systems. Perhaps Yorkville will point this out in future operating instructions and ads. I have sent an email to Yorkville about this matter.
  9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Glad you found a solution! I'm sure the gang at YSL will consider your suggestions for future editions of the OM.
  10. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002

I have an Ampeg BA-210 with a similar problem. Your ignorance is blatant here.
  11. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Actually that is not entirely true. Although it certainly is easier (therefore meaning better) to use a portable device, because it affords you the option of a volume control, the problem actually lies with your Technics CD player. Technics products are designed to work best only with other Technics products, naturally, they want you to buy their whole stereo system.

The way they accomplish this is to make all their devices either output a hotter signal than the norm (CD Players, etc), or be looking for a hotter signal (Receivers, etc). What that means is that the CD player has a high output, its making it unusable in your case, but if your bass amp weren't designed to handle a wide range of input gains it would instead be clipping, instead of jsut loud.

If it were, for example a Panasonic Receiver, and you ran your Technics CD Player into it, it would have a hot signal, clip prematuerly and not sound good, a coworker has this exact same setup and told me just now that he has that exact problem.

The flip side.... a Technics receiver with a Panasonic CD player (my exact stereo at home) and the signal would seem very weak (as it does) meaning you have to turn the receiver way up to get any useable volume from it.

The moral in this case.... Technics builds stuff to be used best only with other Technics stuff. Since you tried to use a Technics deck into a Yorkville bass amp, you had a problem. That problem went away not with the fact that you switched to a portable device, but infact that you switched brands in general.

And yes, it also helps that you can turn the portable device down, and rest it on top of your small combo amp, which I don't doubt are both things that were expected when the amp was designed. But you "should" be able to use a "home" deck with the amp, so long as it isn't a Technics anyway.
  12. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wow, thanx! You just solved ALL our problems :spit: