Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville Bassmaster XS800H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daddyo, Oct 28, 2004.

1. daddyo

daddyo

Jun 9, 2004
    British Columbia
  2. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

I played through the 400 watt 2x10 combo version of this amp with my U.S. Custom shop Washburn XB920,and it sounded KILLER!!!!
    Think Trace Elliot,but with the warmth of an all tube head.I'm ganna buy the head you posted the link for.

3. snailplow

Putting up another post on this thread to bump it back up,because I haven't bought the head yet.I was hoping that someone has played through it,and can give a detailed review.......Anyone?

4. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    can't give you a detailed review because this is the only amp I've ever owned, but I can tell you that it is killer. I play mine through a dr. bass cab - it's plenty loud, and sounds amazing. I don't konw if it's just me or what, but I can't seem to tell a big difference between the tube and ss preamp modes - maybe I'm not waiting long enough for it to switch over, maybe it's just my particular amp, but they both sound about the same. Very warm, great tube sound, nice eq options...and the tube overdrive is tons of fun. I've got a Boss me-50b that I run some distortion through and a MXR M-80 DI that has some distortion on it too, but (of course) neither of those can get the crunch that the true tube overdrive does.

the compresser/limiter didn't impress me - couldn't tell a difference unless I was really reefing on the bass strings, and it effectively castrated the tube overdrive the more you turned the compresser up. My boss unit has a pretty decent compresser/limiter built into it, so I probably wouldn't use the one on the amp anyway, but I thought I'd try it out just for kicks.

That's really been the only problem I've had with the amp so far. It might just be my unit - maybe has something to do with the tube/ss switch also seemingly ineffective, but I really don't mind the tube warmth I get.

Last bit, the bass resonance control - I did notice a slight difference in the punchyness at the two extremes. Probably changes with the cab that you use.

5. Ask Rev Groove...or something like that...he has the 800 head and matching cab...if you look in the reviews section, he has posted there.

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Like he said...what do you want to know? Check out my review and if I left anything out, PM me, or post here. Cheers!

:bassist:

7. I'm surprised that you haven't smoked that cab (500w). :rolleyes:
    Are you very careful or is it conservitively rated ? ;)
    Do you like the build quality & sound ? :)

JJ

8. snailplow

Hi JJ,

That's one of the more popular misconseptions with gear.Yes,companies are consevative with their cabinet's power ratings,mainly to keep players in a "safe zone",but check this out.
    As long as the preamp,or powersection in your amplifier isn't clipping(distorting),you can drive a cabinet that's rated less than the amp is.
    For example,I use to have a Trace Elliot 4x10 cab that had a rating of 300 watts,but I drove it with an Eden WT-800 (800 watts,mono bridged).I played in a LOUD rock band,so I had the master volume set at around the "2 o'clock" position,to achieve my needed volume.
    The thing is,one,I was playing a Ken Smith bass,and the onboard preamps in those basses aren't really "hot",compared to most active basses.Two,I'd set my gain knob to just below the clip level of the amp's preamp section,to keep it's little red light from flashing too much.
    As long as you have a properly compressed and eq'ed signal going from your preamp,into your amp's power section,and providing that you don't have your gain and master knobs set at unreasonable positions,you can hook a higher rated amp in terms of "wattage",to a lower rated cab.Just make sure that the speaker(s) "total" impedance matches the impedance that the amp puts it's full power out at.
    Most amps today also have built in limiters in their power sections,which basically is another compressor that is set very high to "squash" the signal,if need be,to keep your speakers protected.It usually only kicks in though,if your signal is too hot,and clipping like mad.
    Another misconception is that an amp's master volume control gauges how much power is being sent to the speakers.Not really.
    The Eden I was using was sending a ballpark 800 watts to the Trace Elliot cab most of the time,no matter where my master knob was set.
    The master knob simply gauges how much of the preamp's signal(after it's sent through the gain,compression,and eq stages)that it sends to the amp's power section.
    I hope this helps and didn't really confuse you more.Keep thump'in. :) :bassist:

9. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    Build quality is stellar, sound is amazing (again though, this is really the first real setup I've ever played through/owned. I'm pleased with it though, compared to everything else that I have played through).

the XS800H is rated at 600W @ 8 ohms, and the cab is 8 ohms. so I'm not overpowering it by too much, otherwise I probably would've gotten a cab with a beefier power rating. Was thinking about sticking a Dr Bass 210 under it (700W @ 4 or 8 ohms) at some point, but only after I win the lottery or make money some other way.