Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville BM400H + Ampeg 8x10CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Mar 7, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Good? Bad?

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'd say "interesting"...let me know how that sounds...

3. The head I can vouch for, amazing head. Tons of power and so crisp without being harsh, you can really define every single note right of the bat, try it with the EQ completely turned off, it delivers awesome tone. Never tried the cabinet though.

4. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I was asking because I love that head - seriously I WILL NOT play the new series - and in the experience I've had with it I love that cab. Right now I'm in the market for a new rig, I can get the 8x10 for $1399 CAD in almost perfect shape - it was a floor demo - and I'm since I live in Canada where Yorkville is pretty big, I could easily track down the head used for cheap, or even pick one up on MF if worse comes to worse.

I think the tone would sound really great, I've actually never owned a BM400 but I used one for a few months last year while my amp was in the shop, and I loved it. Few weeks ago I played one through a Peavey 2x15 and it rekindled my love for that head.

I've used several 8x10's at shows when they were provided, I've always liked the tone, despite there high freq drop off. My band plays in A and G tunings so I never would have thought that an 8x10 would sound so good, but I've been pleased When i've used one.

Anyways, my cousin has that head, so I might borrow and bring it into the music store to try the combo out, should be fun... :hyper:

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Is it okay if I ask why not? Have you tried one yet?

6. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Lol, read the thread called Peavey, it's fairly recent, I had a discussion with someone about this in that thread.

To summarize, I just prefer the tone of the old Yorkvilles and have always been more impressed with them in a band setting...

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    "Peavey" is way too broad a search term!

Anything to tighten it up, or maybe you can just send me the link?

8. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Saying you "WILL NOT PLAY" a new yorkville but think the older ones that sound slightly different are awsome is like saying I love Honda Civics but REFUSE to drive a Honda Accord.

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    "Slightly different?" I have to say, purely as someone who's had and played both, that there is a HUGE difference. IMHO, the new one is warmer, the EQ section is much easier to use, and the adjustable scoop is da bomb. And if you use overdrive, so much the better. With the addition of the compressor, as well as all of the above, I'm puzzled how anyone can say that there's a "slight" difference...I'd say it's like someone saying "I love Honda Civics, but I refuse to drive a PORSCHE!" Purely my opinion...I know there's those out there that still love the old model...and FYI, there's to be a special run made for a store or few who request them every now and again, so it may indeed be possible for haujbob to find a new one somewhere about, but if I ever got one again, it would be for purely nostalgic reasons as the first amp I bought when I got serious about playing again. IMHO, the new one kicks a**!

I really hope I'm not violating the CUP with this post, but I personally feel very passionate about the difference between the two...this is a PERSONAL post, not professional.

10. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, actually *** was I talking about?

-1 for my earlier post.

I meant to say, you could tweak your new york to make it sound pretty much like the older ones if you wanted to. For example, crank down the tube pre-amp to "ditch" the new yorkvilles great warmth etc.
    But why would anyone want to do that?

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hey, too each their own...works for some people...

:meh:

12. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I didn't ask you to agree with me Special_Ed, that's just the way I feel. I liked the tone I got out of the old series but haven't been able to get a good tone out of the new series, maybe for ****s I'll try both series with the 8x10 and see which I like better. If I happened to like the new one better I would eat my words and buy it, but at this point I prefer the old series...

13. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I'm looking at the new Yorkies XS800h and the XS400h. I'm thinking for the extra couple bucks I should get the XS800h with the added power and extra knobs. Anyones thoughts?

I'm running a SWR 410 workingman cab that's rated at 400w,
    will I have any problem with over powering the cab? (xs800h is rated at 600@4)

14. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    One more thing, will that single tube really do much? I also heard you can swap it with different tubes to get a little different tone or sound?

Thouhgts?

15. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The Alembic F1-X is a very warm preamp and it has only one tube so yes, one tube can mean a lot. Swapping tubes CAN make a big difference in the sound of an amp. Depends on the tube(s) and the amp. Some amps/preamps seem to respond to different tubes more than others. As they say, YMMV.

16. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004

Get the xs800h. The amp is rated at *800* watts at 4 ohms not 600. Thats why they call it a xs800h and not a xs600h. ;)

p.s. With all that extra head room with your amp, it would last 500 years easy. :bassist:

p.s.s. They don't call xs800h "warm" because it has a weak pre-amp. ;)

17. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    I write it wrong, it's a 400w cab and is 8ohms (I think?)
    and the head is 600w @8 (and @2 which I don't quit get).

Anyway, a couple hundred extra watts isn't an issue in to a 400w cab? :eyebrow:

What a good price on the XS800h? I can get it around here (michigan) for $650.00... Is it better on line or some place else?

Special_Ed,
    Strong pre amp and "warm", like in good warm? :hyper:

18. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    The XC808 is an 800W 4 ohm cabinet.(8x8) This is the cab best used with the XS800H, though you can use it with an XS400H as well as get really great results with a YBA200.

You may be refering to the YBX1510, which is 400W at 4 ohms as well. (2x10 + 1x15 in one cabinet.) That cab was designed for the YBA200 head, but IMO sounds much better with the XS400H. I wouldn't use an XS800H with that, too much power.

In regards to the power rating of the XS800, it's 600 watts at 8 ohms and 2 ohms, and 800 watts at 4 ohms.

19. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Anything 810 = hernia, IMO. And back problems. If I were you, I'd pick up a smaller rig. 210 + 115 maybe? Should have both punch and low freqs.